Trochanteric bursitis a symptom of Sjorgen's?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm due to see my GP tomorrow to talk to him about possible Sjogren's.  My list of diagnoses from the past 5 years: Dry eyes, IBS, Laryngopharyngeal Reflux, Fibromyalgia, Lichen Planus and Kidney stones.  Another diagnosis I haven't mentioned, but which is causing me a lot of pain at the moment, is trochanteric bursitis on both hips.  Steroid injections have done nothing for this.  A rheumatologist told me that it was all part of the Fibromyalgia.  My GP disagreed.  The same rheumatologist told me to use Ibuprofen gel on the areas, which I have been doing, to little effect.

Just wondered if bursitis is another Sjogren's symptom.  Does anyone else have it?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think basically yes. Bursitis goes hand in hand with inflammatory disorders like this. I have something very similar to Sjogren's and have bursitis in my feet. V painful. Good luck with diagnosis.

• Posted

Thank you, Margaret.  I'll put it on my list!  I feel absolutely rubbish at the moment, as the bursitis pain goes from my hips down the outside of my legs to my knees.  So, I think I'll see if he can suggest anything tomorrow.  Bursitis in your feet must be terribly painful.  I have osteoarthritis in my feet and that can be pretty painful at times, so I empathise.  Thanks again.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with sjogrens two years ago, and unfortunately l had bursitis in my knee. Before my diagnosis l had other symptoms, such as dry mouth, dry eyes and severe joint pain. After numerous visits to the doctors they decided to refer me to a rheumatologist. After bone scans and bloods, l received a definitive diagnosis. Bursitis is so uncomfortable but l found using hot water bottles, and then ice really helped, and using anti inflammatories such as ibuprofen. 
    • Posted

Thank you Warren.  One thing I don't have is a dry mouth, but my eyes are very dry.  I have joint pain, but also have osteoarthritis.  So, I accept that the different diagnoses may all be individual diseases, but I just wondered if there was an underlying cause and, as I know I've now got an autoimmune disease and my dry eyes have become worse, thought it would be worth discussing it with the GP.  Thank you for your tips about dealing with the bursitis.

• Posted

How did you get a doctor to diagnose you...I've had systems ongoing for over 20 yrs progressively worsening, now trochenteric tendopathy on both hips, so 99% of all symptoms, blood results positive and now going to get the lip biopsy as the final step... all of which, I've had to be my own advocate and make appts with new doctors because my current rheumatologist happens to work in my office isn't being proactive with my care and keeps calling it sicca syndrome. Why would he do this ?

• Posted

i was diagnosed with Sjogren's about 3 months ago. i have inflammation in multiple joint joints, but what's been especially painful is bursitis in both hips. I plan on speaking to my Rheumatologist on my next visit. my inflammation is in shoulders, hips, elbows, knees, wrists, & ankles. tendonitis & bursitis.

• Posted

How did you get a doctor to diagnose you...I've had symptoms ongoing for over 20 yrs progressively worsening, now trochenteric tendopathy on both hips, so 99% of all symptoms, blood results positive and now going to get the lip biopsy as the final step... all of which, I've had to be my own advocate and make appts with new doctors because my current rheumatologist happens to work in my office isn't being proactive with my care and keeps calling it sicca syndrome. Why would he do this ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.