Trouble sleeping

Posted , 4 users are following.

Basically I been using a white noise machine for at least 6 months and everytime I use it I always gone to sleep before it stops, it is on a timer for 30 minutes. I been using it this week but I am wake when the machine turns off. Why? Have I got used to the noise?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Maybe or you are over thinking too much. Try beach sounds the waves. Its rythmic so it might aid you to sleep.
  • Posted

The white noise is a constant unchanging sound & it masks any noises or sounds outside your bedroom. When it turns off, all of the other noises can & will easily startle you awake. Sleep with the white noise machine on all night to see if that  helps. 
  • Posted

Hi Matthew

I have also tried white noise to help me sleep before. It initially feels relaxing but then I alwys put so much pressure on myself for it to work. Do you think you could be putting too much pressure on yourself for the white noise to work and therefore it no longer does?

I have had trouble sleeping for a long time and would love to hear more about your sleeping isssues. What are your main issues with regards to trying to get to sleep? I have night terrors and also hold my breath which is so disruptive. I know I am quite an anxious person which doesn't help me. Have you paid for any online courses to help you sleep? I was thinking of looking into this or seeing what other things might work like audio books or podcasts.

I hope your sleep gets better soon.

• Posted

I use a fan. It stays in all night and does the same thing. If you really enjot certain white noise sounds they have apps that stay on. Also have deep sleep apps to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.