trouble with knee extension

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am 6 weeks post op and am having trouble getting my knee extensions right. My Ortho PA is concerned I will walk with limp or bent knees. She is going to have me use pool soon but I need suggestions for at home. My left leg has been a 10 yr.problem and I've limped alot in the past two years. Also my PA apologized because the surgeon used staples instead of sutures and now I'll have 3 lines of scarring instead of one. Well no shorts for me lol! Does anyone know of something to reduce appearance of the scars? Appreciate any help

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

My daughter is making me a potion of essentials oils that she swears by but I will email you the name of a commercially available product....they will zap if I name it here😕
  • Posted

Roma

I had both knees done in Jan same time.my scars are straight and they look good I use coconut oil like 4 times a day.I use it for everything. It really good to whiten your teeth too I brush with it everday. Hope it helps.

• Posted

Coconut oil to brush teeth? Do u use it straight or mixed w/ something else? I will start to use it on my scar, thanks😍
    • Posted

Roma

I get a couple of jars when I go to Wally World ( Wal-Mart ). It's in the oil section Lou Ann's . Keep one in the bathroom and one by my bed. I dip my toothbrush in and then brush. Make sure to spit in trash can no oil in sink then brush with to othpaste

• Posted

I had staples after my TKR in January and I've been using bio oil.

My scar is just one thin line and fading each week x

• Posted

I've being using vaseline, it was suggested by one of the nurses in the hospital, she said it does the same as bio oil and a lot cheaper, my scar is fading really well
  • Posted

Hi, after my first PKR year and a half ago, that scar looks good. Fortunately, glue was used for that and the vitamin E twice daily. Now my three month old TKR had staples so is not as pretty yet. My dermatologist suggested that silicon works better. My PT agreed but that it's more expensive than vE. My brother in law used cocoa butter. I think it all works. Get the skin soft and flexible and massage across the scar. And time! 
  • Posted

So long as the scar does not stretch too much the staple scars as well as the main scar will fade.  For the time being look on them as beauty marks.

The pool is a great idea.  Try sitting in the bath (mineral salts in the water will help your skin). Then you can point your heel to the end of the bath, toes towards your head and push the knee down towards the bottom of the bath.  The water will support you, so if the pain is too much, just stop and allow your leg to float.Doing exaggerated heel & toe exercises will help; as you go from heel to toe, just pause awhile on your toes before moving on to the other foot.  As you go through this movement try keeping your knee as straight as possible.

• Posted

Here is something that worked for me to help improve my extension. Sit in a chair with your leg extended in front of you, placing your foot on another chair or a stool. Take a small plastic bag and put something in it that weighs a pound or two (I used a five pound weight but that's me). Hang the bag from your extended leg, just above the scar area. Now the weight will be slowly drawing your knee down into a straighter position via gravity. Try to hold this position for two minutes, gradually increasing the weight and/or time elements as you can tolerate. This helped my extension greatly.
    • Posted

Hi, tried the weight in a bag ( used 3 lb.)and left it on for 15 and then 20 minutes...worked great! I slept better that night and the next day was walking without bend first thing in the morning. Went to therapy and had a good session. Course was sore after.. But thanks for the great tip! Left with my extension at 3. Was at 7 on Monday
  • Posted

i use bi oil  or an E is fantasic too .dont worry about the scsars as long as your knee is ok thats all that matters .ive had mine opened 3 times but its healing well i wont e worrying about the scar my days for worrying about that are over .

like you since my revision my extension is not as good as it should be weird because i had to have a revision for lack of bend my knee then was dead straight and now bend has improved some what but straight not so good .my advice work hard very hard !!! mine will never be straight now but yours is early days keep stretching it put a weight on it while you put your foot up on a chair in front of you with the knee between both chairs put a weight in a bag not too heavy and let it hang from the knee it will pull it down do it often its hard at first but keep doing it good luck

• Posted

Thank you..good luck to you too. I did use the method you mentioned as someone else does this and yes it did work and was easier than laying on weight while lying down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.