Tsh 0.01 T4 21.8 what does it mean?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I don't understand - I have phone appt with GP next week but does it make sense to have a TSH if 0.01 and T4 of 21.8?? Advice much appreciated. Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sharon:

My name is Shelly and I am a Nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease since  1987.

Normal TSH  is 0.45 to 4.50.  THE high end is HYPO (under active) and the low end is HYPER  (TOO MUCH).  They are opposite of each other. 0.01 is so low it is barely detectable.

T4 is Thyroxine and normal is 9 to 19.   21.8 is a bit over  the range.

Sometimes doctors will retest the blood again in 2 months to see if the levels remain abnormal.

You seem to have Hyperthyroid blood levels. The condition is Hyperthyroidism and can run in families.

Symptoms of Hyper are:  Jittery, nervous, shaking, losing weight, high pulse rate, palpitations of the heart, insomnia, thyroid eye, sweating a lot.

It can be controlled by Carbimazole and you will need to see an Endocrinologist who knows the thyroid well.

I hope this helps, any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you for taking time to reply. My only symptoms which match are fatigue and some sweating - none of the others. My symptoms are more in line with hypothyroid!!

I am going to ask to see an endocrinologist - I suspect something causing these results if that's possible ....

• Posted

Hi Sharon:

Hashimoto's thyroid disease can make you appear to look Hyper on paper so ask for these blood tests to be done to make sure.

TSH - repeat it, T4 and T3 level  TPOA antibodies test for autoimmune Hashimoto's and TGab  antibodies test, these last 2 tests will pick up any markers for Hashimoto's.

Also check your immediate family and cousins etc, as it runs in families and can skip a generation.  My sister and I have Hashi's and my Father's sister has it.  My Father did not have it. 

Thyroid disease hits women more than men, normal ages are 20- 45 and it can happen after that in the menopause years too.  Also if you are in a stressful lifestyle that can bother the thyroid.  A nasty virus called EPV Epstein-Barr also known as MONONUCLEOSIS.  It can lay dormant and then come out later in life and is a known thyroid attacker.

Please update us on how you do, any questions just ask,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.