Two broken ankles. I need some advise?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I broke both of my ankles in a horse riding accident 5 weeks ago. I've had two ORIF in each ankle, plus a plate and pins in my right ankle as I broke the tibia two. I'm 5 weeks after the surgery and due to have my 6 weeks appointment on the 15th June. Where I've been told that hopefully should get to get moonboots and hopefully start weight bearing.

I just need to know if anyone has had the same kind of injury? Where they could weight bear after 6 weeks? What type of physio they got?

I'm in the UK and getting treated on the NHS. I've tried looking for information on the Internet and not found much. I'm normally really active and I'm getting really frustrated and down about the whole thing. Just need a bit of advice.

Thanks

Gemma

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi i dnt have the same accident as you i have a fractured heal and i am 7 weeks in i know can be long and boaring day i have a boot and still not fully weight bearing after 7 weeks so am not sure if you will be with 2 broken ankles after 6 everyones different tho i start physio next week as well not sure if will be same for you i am also in the uk and getting treatment on the nhs sometimes i think they just tell you something to get you in n out i have to go back to hospital in 5 week and even then yhey dnt think i will be fwb then hope this helps a little
    • Posted

Thanks donna for your reply. I'm hoping that I get a lot more information on the 15th. Hopefully get my boots.

Thanks Gemma

• Posted

Hi Gemma, you poor thing breaking both! I also live in the UK. It's bad enough with one fractured ankle? I fractured my ankle on 4th March this year, I broke both my fib and tib.  A week later was still in hospital waiting for swelling to go down. Had operation on 11th March ORIF 2 screws and a plate. Discharged on 15th March with a frame and crutches, told non weight bearing. Two weeks later was replastered and about 4 weeks later on 26th

April my plaster was removed. Given a boot and a brace and full weight bearing, told to start off with boot and when I could get a shoe on to use the brace. Luckily managed to get a physio appointment the day after plaster removal. Gentle exercise at first, next appointment 2 weeks later given a few more exercises and 2 weeks later physio gave me leg strengthening exercises to do. Went back to p/t work as GP receptionist a week after plaster removal. I'm walking quite well ankle and foot still swell and I haven't yet got full flexibility yet. But I can take my dog for short walks, go shopping etc. If I do too much I suffer the next day so I try to be sensible. I'm able to get most of my shoes on which was what I was really worried about. Went back to hospital this Tuesday (7th June) consultant very pleased and discharged me, advised to carry on with physio until advised otherwise. So I'm sort of back to normal after 14 weeks (tomorrow) I've realised I'm not aware of my injury every minute of the day and I've even stopped thinking before I make a movement. This week I'm been going up and down stairs without thinking about putting one foot in front of each other instead of one step at a time. I still get tired but I'm getting there I think! My ankle is bigger than the other one even first thing in the morning, the consultant says it can take a year to go back to normal. So just do everything your told to do, try not to be frightened once you get the plaster off and get referred to physio by your consultant when you get your plaster removed. Once you start being able to get around in the boots you'll feel liberated. I hope all goes well with your progress. 

• Posted

Thanks jane for your reply. You've put my mind at rest. I honestly can't wait until the appointment on 15th. I hope everything keeps going well for you.

Thanks Gemma

• Posted

Damn. That's very unlucky. Have a nephew in UK who broke his wrist. Dr didnt make notes of his initial appointment. Drs were on strike after that. Finally got a cast 2 weeks later.

Anyway, I've seen someone with similar injury, had both ankles plated and screwed, she spent a lot of time walking in shallow swimming pool for therapy after casts off. No easy fix. Moonboot will help. So will crutches and a Walker. Physio will guide you as to how you should tackle your rehab.

I've got a plated, screwed right fibula. 8months postcbreak. 4 months post bone graft plating surgery. My 'good ' leg has a bakers cyst that has become severely swollen due to support other leg for 8 months. I'm in my mid 50s and was very active before this.

I have an all terrain Walker with a seat, and very large wheels. 90 year olds overtake me!:+)

I think a walker like mine would be useful. I'm not a fan of crutches. I keep falling over! I guess you're in a wheelchair.

Glad you are on this site. We all support each other.

Unfortunately we all joined a club we didn't ask to join through circumstances beyond our control.

You will get there! Suggestions:-

*seated hobbies- reading, crafts, ps4 , Ukelele etc

* have right gadgets to help. Chair raiser, shower bench, reacher gadget to pick up things, table on wheels to go over bed or chair, bed handle lift to get out of bed, raised toilet seat, etc

*A good supply of prescribed painkillers

*Regular contact with hospital Drs, nurse etc

*Don't be afraid to ask for help if you notice anything unusual.

Please let us all know how you are going. If you want more support, you can private message.

Good luck. Patience grasshopper!

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Hi Gemma14431

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through such a tough time!! How are you feeling?

I'm from the UK too, and I broke both my ankles a few years back (mine was a car accident and so had multiple other injuries too - so was completely bed bound for 2 months) but when I was discharged from hospital I had a visit from local physios at home to teach me how to walk again, I went from wheelchair, to gutter frame, to crutches, to walking stick. The physio was really important in getting back on my feet! And I also had hydrotherapy which was great as you're not having to weight bare but can do exercises!!

Normally, with the NHS they'll arrange some physio for you (maybe for a set number of sessions) and it will be getting back any strength you've lost, and making sure you have a good gait and balance to make sure you're able to walk well again.

I know its hard not to get down, its really horrid having something like this happen, but remember "this too shall pass" and this time next year you'll be chatting to friends saying "oh and do you remember back when I broke my ankles...." And it will feel like its all history. So just keep going, stay strong, and don't give up!! smile

Charlotte xoxo

• Posted

My mother (67) just broke both of her ankles and is getting surgery done today to have a plate and/or screws placed. My sister and I are trying to do some research that will hopefully make her recovery period as smooth as possible. Any suggestions for tools/equipment for the home that really helped? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Gemma

Just wondering how your mum is going? My mum has broken her two ankles latest night and only just realized this morning. She's going in for her 3rd x-ray now. How long did it take your mum to recover or is she still recovering? My mum is 74 years old and is told her bones are brittle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.