Two septoplasties succeeded then reverted back with time. Doc referred me to septorhinoplasty now

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm basically not sure if surgery is actually the solution. At times, my nasal cavity is open enough where I can breathe adaquately through the deviated side, however those times are limited and only when the other side is open too. Otherwise, It's extremely difficult to breathe through the deviated side and makes me anxiety worse (or maybe it's my anxiety that makes the breathing worse/more noticeable...)

I had two septoplasties. One worked, but slowly re-deviated after a year or two. The second one reverted within a month. Different doctors both times, now I'm referred to a third ENT who completed fellowship in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery and they want to do a rhinoplasty to repair my septum. I'm deathly afraid it won't work and then I'll really be out of options.

Has this happened to any of you or anyone you know? What was the outcome? Is it possible there's an issue outside of the septum that inhibits the breathing and also perhaps made the surgeries fail?, like the entire septum or bone being out of place? The volume of my nasal cavity around the septal cartilage is like twice as big on the undeviated side as it is on the deviated side They never did a xray or CT scan so I'm wondering if they missed something.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.