Tympanoplasty and Air Pressure

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a tympanoplasty procedure to fix a perforated eardrum and after 2 and a half weeks I went to play golf, as cleared to do so by my doctor. However, the golf course was up a mountain and after driving there I felt some air pressure changes in my ear.

The mountain is only about 250m above sea level, but I was just wondering if this would impact my recovery? I know I shouldn't fly for a few months due to air pressure changes, but whether the air pressure from driving up a mountain a few hundred metres high would have an impact?

Thanks for any advice on this!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Not much advice but I do think it will be OK.

I had this operation without knowing I was pregnant at the time.. after 2 weeks having it I started having morning sickness and ended up with Hyperemesis gravidarum

severely vomiting for months afterwards.

I was worried my operation would have failed due to all the vomiting and dry heaving pressure but touch wood it's been a really strong graft ever since.

I also took a flight 6 months after too with no problems.

I've had random pressure in the ear for years since having it but I'd rather that over ear infections.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.