Ulnar nerve help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, I’m wondering if anyone can give me any help! I’ve spent the last two years suffering with extreme pain, in December I was finally operated on and had my left ulnar nerve released and repositioned! I had no follow up appointments or physio planned by the hospital and unfortunately suffered with the same pain post surgery so I organised to see my surgeon and today was the day! First of all it was the worst hospital appointment I’ve ever experienced, as soon as I walked in and explained I was still in pain my surgeon told me there was nothing more that he could do and it would now be a case of dealing with chronic pain for the rest of my life basically! I’m 24 years old and this seems like such a crazy outcome, I’m so surprised that he’s laid this  on the table before even considering any alternative investigations into it! I’ve had no nerve tests done EVER the only thing they’ve done is an MRI 2 years ago.. I’ve asked to be referred for a second opinion which is in 7 weeks time but any advice would be much appreciated. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

'Extreme pain' is not usually the primary symptom of an ulnar nerve problem at the elbow so that diagnosis is suspect from the outset. Go and see a neurologist, not an orthopaedic surgeon, and get some nerve conduction studies done. 

• Posted

Dear Katy,

So sorry you are having such a bad time.I stumbled across the Carpal Tunnel Surgery Information and Support Group on Facebook. It's a closed group but has the best information and positive stories I have found. It deals with problems just like yours. Until then all I found were horror stories.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Katie

I'm really surprised they didn't do a nerve conduction test. Your right to get a second opinion whilst I wasn't given a colour appointment as such Free surgery I was given some exercises. do at home and an open appointment with the surgeon for six months should I need to see them .

• Posted

Hi Katy,

I'm a type 1 diabetic and was also recently diagnosed with Ulnar Neuropathy. I know exactly the pain and struggle you're going through. However, in order for me to get a proper diagnosis I had to undergo an EMG test and needle study. It's a nerve study test (a little uncomfortable) that test the currents through your nerves as well as your muscles. It's a shame this wasn't done prior to your surgery. I too was told I most likely will need surgery to release it but honestly after hearing your story I'm having second thoughts!!! I'm so sorry u have to go thru this!! Praying u/we find a solution soon!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.