unable to take eye drops

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys,

my brother used to play on computer, upload youtube videos and everything, but after coronavirus hit us, he started being very frustrated throughout the day and it traced back to him spending time at screens.

I don't know exactly if the source of the problem is in his eyes or not, but we tried limiting his time at screens and it helped to some degree.

gradually though, situation became so bad that we had to almost completely eliminate screentime from his day, except he is at the TV in mornings. He dims the light as much as he can and after an hour or so he stands up and goes to school.

Parallel to this, he has been feeling headband like pressure on his forehead (also since coronavirus), and now on top of his head too.

We tried giving him eye drops, but he says it burns really bad for like 5 minutes continuously, which is a LONG time for eye drop pain.

Ophthalmologist said there are no pathologies present, but next time we tested him they said there is allergic conjunctivitis. After a while we took him to test again to another ophthalmologist and they said there are no signs of conjunctivitis or any other eye disease, and that it could just be dry eyes. So we tried artificial tears for dryness, but it gave no relief either.

Only thing that helps him relieve his discomfort is applying cold compress (in our case, we use just kitchen silverware teaspoon that i run under cold water), but we don't understand why or how it has this effect.

I am scared to keep pushing the eye drops idea, because it causes nonstop burn and pain to him every time we tried it and it did not get less after a week even.

Another thing to mention is that we tested him for bacterias and he has high amount of h pylori bacteria in his gut (we did breath test). He also has mouth bacterias like streptococcus (high) and staphylococcus (low).

Can you help me identify, what could this be?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

It does sound very much like dry eye syndrome. Once it starts any treatment is not a cure but only a way of taking the dryness away. Artificial tears should not burn his eyes at all and you have to use them often, not just once or twice per day. Artificial tears are usually the first treatment for dry eyes and he or you may need to investigate more intense treatments like a thicker ointment , especially at night.

Are the whites of his eyes very red? Was he given any sort of ointment for the conjunctivitis? Does he have any yellow pusy discharge in his eyes?

I personally have had dry eye syndrome for over 20 years so I do have first hand experience of this horrible condition. Are you in UK?

• Edited

Dear Marina_Dee, thank you for such detailed reply!

Doctor gave him some ointments and those were the ones burning. No discharge from the eyes.

We don't live in UK, we live in Georgia the country, which is between Russia and Turkey.

I'm sorry about you having dry eye syndrome for so long..

As I mentioned in original post, he also has pressure like sensations in his forehead. All of these things started since he had coronavirus, so I'm trying to connect the dots.

My brother came up with an idea to draw a visualisation of his pressure sensations in the head and also burning spots around eyes. Then I digitalized it and here it is:

I don't know exactly if this is caused by dry eye syndrome, because he is rarely at screens these days compared to kids his age.. neither he has any redness or even signs of dry eyes ( i compared images of dry / normal eyes online versus his eyes).

Anyways, thank u so much for support again!

• Posted

That diagram of pressure points may indicate a problem with sinuses. Has he seen an ENT consultant?

ENT = ears nose throat.

• Posted

Hi Marina, we didnt go specifically to ENT, but our family doctor asked us to take xrays of head and we did, and on image seem to be no problem.

Maybe i will write this post in head thread also and somebody will have some idea.

Thank u a lot again!

much love,

giorgi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.