Unbalanced and swimming feeling in head for 2 months.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been feeling unbalanced for awhile and it feels like sometimes I'm walking on a boat. Also I have a swimming feeling in my head when I'm laying down which makes it very annoying when I'm trying to sleep. I've been to my Dr who is great and listened to my problems and prescribed me Propranolol 40mg 3 times a day for a month. But in my head I still think but what if it's a brain tumour and I told him this but he said none of these symptoms make him worry that I have a tumour and if shouldn't worry me either. I've also had my eyes tested and my optician gave me the all clear there too. I just can't stop thinking about it and it's ruining my life I'm so scared right now.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Natalie,

Do you have tinnitus? Is your hearing worse? Do you have spins?

If so get your doctor to check that it isn't Menieres.

It could be Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo or BPPV. It is to do with crystals in your ear canal escaping from where they normally live. They can be put back with a special head maneuver.

You could also ask your doctor about this.

I have both these conditions and it took me quite a while to work out what was wrong.

I'm not saying it's either of those two, but worth getting checked.

Just message me anytime

Hugs

Sophie ☺

• Posted

I do have ringing in my ears but it doesn't last long just when I'm anxious and the dr checked my ears but couldn't find anything wrong. The strange thing is my off balance only seems to happen indoors beacause when I'm outside I don't have that 'I'm on a boat feeling'.

My dr also did a balance test were I had to stand on one foot at a time and touch my nose with my eyes closed and I past everything. 

• Posted

I had vertigo,drove me up the wall. I also went the opticans,my vision was 20/20,I left the opticians disappointed,I was hoping specs would cure it. It was all down to anxiety,once I started getting a decent nights sleep it cleared up. Patterns on carpets and escalators would make me as sick as a dog.

Are you a hyprocontrac? When I suffered from anxiety I was. If you are abnormally anxious about your health,then I can virtually guarantee it will be down to anxiety. If you're not normally anxious,then there's more chance of it being down to your ears than a tumor. My uncle had vertigo because of his ears,he basically has to do what ever made him dizzy. He had to retrain his ears.

• Posted

Yes I am a hypochondriac and I have been since my early teens. Any sort of small pain can trigger it off and I'll think of nothing else for months like I'm doing right now with this. The dr gave me a number for a counsellor becuase being like this is really depressing me and also giving me the worst panic attacks I've had in a long time.
    • Posted

Then there's a good chance your unsteadiness will be down to anxiety. Just think back at the amount of deadly illnesses you thought you've had.................yet you're still here. I thought I had every illness under the sun,as I had every symptom (at some point) linked to that illness, but guess what? It's been 11 years since I had anxiety and I'm still here,even tho some of the illnesses I thought I had would have killed me years ago. I've been anxiety free now for donkey years,and it's not untill you're free from the illness when you realise how stupid you've been (hope I don't sound rude). Some of the illnesses I've had since I recovered from anxiety would have sent me into melt down had I still been a sufferer (nothing major),but I just ignore them now and they go as quick as they came. When you focus on a symptom,it will escalate into your worst nightmare,and it will take you an age to get better.
    • Posted

I know you're right it's always hard when you logically think things through and know that my health would've been a hell of a lot worse now if I actually had a serious illness. But I hate that little voice that seems to pop up filling all the logil reasoning with doubts. 
    • Posted

Before I suffered from anxiety I used to call people hypochondriacs as a put down,but it's not until you've suffered from anxiety that you realise it's a handicap that can ruin your life. I didn't suffer for long compared to most on here,mine lasted between 12-18 months,but I had a really dark period that lasted about 6 months. If someone had offered me the choice between a Euro lottery win or nomality, I would have taken normality everytime. The thing is Nat (I'm not saying you're like this) some people just sit around and hope their anxiety will just disappear,but in my experience you have to take the bull by the horns and make a drastic life change. I gave my computer away (googling my symptoms was too tempting), worked out like a looney (I hated exercise) and kept myself busy. It took around nine months before I could say I felt normal again. I still get the odd reminder today when I'm tied (twitch or stiff neck) but I don't give them much heed,and like I said, they're gone as quick as they came. My nan has worried about her health since she was 14,she's now 87 and she's still fretting,anxiety has become ingrained in her and she openly admits she's a lost cause,you don't want to be like her.
    • Posted

You say that you are free from this anxiety nightmare and all it's symptoms.  How did this happen for you?   I am about crazy over the symptoms!

• Edited

it sounds like vertigo, i get this, sometimes when im sitting still or standing still i feel like im moving or falling, but im still. i think its just another sympotom that comes with anxiety. ask the doctor about it hope this helped
  • Edited

see a maxillary surgeon for tmj. 
    • Posted

Peak in the tmj forum as well. It would take way too long to explain it all on here. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.