Uncomfortable

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi ladies - happy new year to all. I had rectocele and tvt on 19/9 UK and all going well. I am however feeling uncomfortable in the vaginal area/near the outside. feels like the nerve endings are still so sensitive and a bit irritated with a very slight burning sensation. No signs of infection or redness or inflammation. I am drinking 2l daily. I am managing BO only every few days although not currently constipated. The nippy or jaggy feeling of the nerves on the entrance is pronounced when constipated. I've done all the bulk forming food, prune smoothies and lactulose but can no longer tolerate due to bloating.  Thinking the 2l water is key along with exercise which I am doing. I'm increasing my exercise but still very gentle. Does anyone (matron?) know if this jaggy uncomfortable sensation does disappear eventually? I do have lidocaine gel which is fab but GP says don't over use as nerve endings need to heal. Thank you in advance ladies. Wendy X 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I also have that burning feeling and very uncomfortable and I had my op at the end of November so only six weeks ago. I dont think any of us realised how long it would take us to feel right again! What is the Lidocaine gel? Maybe I can ask my GP for some of that! I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Hello angela. Lignocaine gel is a jelly substance that's a local anaesthetic. It's used a lot in hospital for instance it's smeared on a urethral catheter before catheterisation. Hope that helps x

• Posted

Hello. Happy new year. The sensation you feel is as you say the nerve endings. When you have any surgery but particularly surgery in very sensitive areas such as pelvic floor the nerves are cut. There's thousands of them so it's unavoidable and they will cause discomfort or more commonly tingling. Can you recall people saying if your wound is itchy it means you're healing? Well that's the nerve endings. It will eventually settle down but it's difficult to say how long it will take because everyone is different. Lignocaine gel is amazing and I'm so pleased you have a sensible GP who will prescribe it. 

• Posted

Thank you matron and Angela I hope you can get some gel, it is really amazing. They just don't tell you how much healing the rectocele takes, it's a much bigger op than I realised. And a very long slow recovery x

• Posted

You've summed up prolapse surgery well. I think it takes about 12 months until you really feel well again and sometimes longer. I'm not saying you're unwell in that time but your body takes time to recover. Take care x

• Posted

matron-You may remember that I was worried about my bladder last week (I am on week seven after surgery for retocele, enterocele and stitch to buttock)-well I made an appointment with GP and glad that I did as yesterday I felt like it had turned into a urine infection and was running to loo all day long. Anyway I went to see her today and she gave me a very thorough examination. She has taken a urine sample and a swab of disharge that I still have and results will be back on Monday but meanwhile she has given me antibiotics and something for thrush just in case because antibiotics seem to have that effect on me! She reassured me that the posterior repairs seem to be ok although still a bit red but that my bladder was prolapsed. The surgeon knew this before surgery but decided to leave it while i had all the other stuff done but I expect at a later date it will need doing. The doctor felt it would settle down in time so antibiotics here i come and hopefully next week i will feel a lot better!

• Posted

I'm pleased you've seen your GP angela and what a sensible doctor prescribing something in case you get thrush! I wish they would all do that. It's good news about your repair. I'm sure you'll be feeling better after taking the antibiotics for  about 48 hours 

• Posted

Thanks I hope so-feeling a bit fed up running up and down to the loo! I am happy that my repair seems ok so that heered me up
  • Posted

I'd exactly the same sensations a few days after my op. I phoned the hospital and was advised to dab the area with Witch Hazel. Didn't work for me so phoned back . Advised to spend 10 mins twice daily in a  lukewarm salt bath ( just a cupful of everyday salt in shallow bath), use shower head to rinse, then lie on bed for a while with no underwear on to let the area dry. I did this, plus dabbed a lot of Vaseline on before using sanitary towel and dressing. It took a couple of weeks to settle down. Good luck! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.