Underactive Thyriod!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone, 

I have had an  Underactive Thyriod for some years now. Taking thyroxine each day, I have put weight on Since starting the tablet and having a lot of trouble getting it off, I was slim before this.  I am trying the slim fast diet and have lost some weight, I am also suffering from sweating a lot on my forehead and face. I have told my  doctor, who has asked me to have blood tests for other things as well as my thyroid again. It's very uncomfortable sweating like this, I am also suffering from  bad back problems (I have Curvature of the spine ) which I have an appointment to see a Physiotherapist in June as its affecting me each day now. 

I got the menopause around the Same time as the thyroid problem. Which my doctor thinks I have gone through it, I wasn't on H.R.T. As didn't want to go down that route. 

I am always tired and don't have a lot of energy.  I am going to my doctor next week for my results so will have more to say. 

The thing in my legs, body that makes me twitch and wanting to move all the time drives me mad.

Thank you you for reading 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Shortie:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987. I am 55.

Thyroid problems can occur during ages 20 to 45 and then in menopause years. It also can be from a virus called Epstein-Barr and lay dormant and then become active by stress on the body.

Since our thyroid helps with energy & metabolisim most of us have fatigue and weight gain. Most people taking Levo are just getting the basic replacement of the hormone and not any extra. Some people need a bit more thyroid med if fatigue is bad, so maybe you can ask the doctor for the next dose up.  Most people are on Levo and any where from 75mcg to 150mcg. I take a multivitamin with iron about 4 hours after my thyroid med and with some food.  Many of us are low in Ferritin, a component of Iron.  This is needed for thyroid meds to work. Iron does help us make new Red Blood cells and that helps carry oxygen and helps with energy in our bodies and we need good B-12 also for energy.  You may be low in these.

Walking some for a half hour, you may have to work up to it and diet control has helped me lose 32 pounds.  Avoid dairy and Gluten which causes IBS of the bowel and bothers our thyroids.  Watch carbs or eat low carb items. No junk foods or soda. Slim fast can make you lose some weight, but it is not good in the long term. I eat fish and lean meats and vegetables and salads, etc...just watch the portion size.

Since you have Scoliosis, do consult with a physio person on what you can do in the way of exercise.  Walking has helped me and also swimming is good. We need some exercise to help our joints and metabolism out.  Watch out for fruits some are high in sugar and are bad for diet control.

I hope this  helps,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shortie, I started to feel unwell about 5 years ago. One of my first symptoms was twitching muscles. Since 2012 I have been diagnosed with adenomyosis, fibromyalgia and hypothyroidism. I'm also 46 so I assume I'm in menopause. My symptoms are so mixed I have no idea what is causing what symptom. My twitches see all over my body. It's a pain in the butt but I think I'm use to them. Being a woman isn't great lol. Chin up x
  • Posted

Hello, I would urge you to see a physio urgently about your spine curvature because I have read that specific exercises can help it - and the sooner you start, the sooner you can slow the deteriorationn or even Iimprove it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.