underactive thyroid diagnosis

Posted , 1 user is following.

Three years ago I registered at a new GP's surgery, and was asked to undertake a complete routine introductory check as a new patient. At the time my health was pretty good. I have a long history of bi-polar, IBS and intermittent issues with candida, but nothing that causes me any major problems. The GP returned the health check results, stating that I had an underactive thyroid and would need to take levothyroxine, despite the fact that I had no idea that I had the condition, and certainly had no indication of any symptons. It was a complete bolt out of the blue for me, however, I followed the GP's advice, and have been on 100mu daily since. From being relatively fit and healthy at the start of all this, I have developed numerous and increasing issues since then, with the following problems occurring:

Aching joints and muscles; fatigue; mouth ulcers; skin problems (diagnosed as folliculitis, mainly on my back, bum and arms, but general itchiness all over); and anxiety/depression. All of these symptons have persisted, or even got worse throughout this period, but I just put it down to the general ageing process (I'm 63), or they were a deterioration of my long term existing issues.

My wife suggested that all this has happened since I started taking levothyroxine, and so I stopped taking it about three weeks ago to see what happened. At the same time, based on reading about people with similar issues to me, I also decided to change my diet, cutting out or reducing sugar, gluten, yeast and wheat products. This has helped by reducing the effects of IBS, and the aches and fatigue, but not the yet the folliculitis, which I have also read can be connected to hypothyroidism.

I guess, what I am trying to find out from you good people is whether anyone else out there has experienced similar issues as me, and also particularly, if anyone who has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and prescribed levothyroxine, has come off of it, and what was the outcome of stopping taking it? I would be interested and very grateful to hear your views and related experiences.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.