Undiagnosed- question about nonspecific symptoms

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello all,

Back in August I experienced diarrhea for 9 days. It came on suddenly and then vanished. I had stool culture and blood tests and everything came back normal, as well as a normal COVID test. I also had the Prometheus IBD Diagnostic and it came back "Not consistent with IBD" and my CRP was 0.5, although it said that I had some of the genetic predisposing alleles (which is odd since no one in my family history dating back to the Mayflower has ever had IBD). About 3 days in I had a CT scan at the hospital that revealed minor mesenteric adenitis. Its been over 4 months now and it hasn't returned and I feel great, but my anxiety over what it could have been remains. I usually have 1-3 bowel movements per day, depending on food in take. I have no family history of IBD. Anyway, I decided to get a colonoscopy any way, just to see what was going on. My doctor decided to do both a colonoscopy and an EGD. The colonoscopy with biopsies came back normal- the terminal ileum, colon and rectum were all normal. However, the EGD discovered mild chronic non-h. pylori gastritis and mild, patchy villous blunting (without intraepithelial lymphocytes) in the duodenum, as well as GERD (which I already knew I had). I do not and never have smoked, nor have I ever been a heavy drinker. I also have never taken PPIs and the last time I took an NSAID was well over a decade ago. I do not have any symptoms at all, but I'm at a loss for what could be causing it. Does this sound like Crohn's? has anyone else had Crohn's that has basically no or only extremely mild digestive symptoms? I fart a lot but I never have any pain in my abdomen, ever. I occasionally will get a fissure or hemorrhoids if I strain too much (sometimes holding in my bowel movements makes them harder, despite the frequency). I used to bodybuild a few years back and when I was drinking a lot of coffee I might have 4 or even on a very rare occasion even 5 bowel movements in a day, but I havent had this since I laid off the caffeine and stopped eating 3-4000 calories a day.

Anyway, just looking for anyone with similar experiences. I don't want to have to demand a capsule endoscopy if it isn't necessary. I imagine if any serious damage was happening I would have pain or at least symptoms, right?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.