Unexplained right rib and shoulder blade pain, but no gallstones.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, I've had 4 days of severe pain in right ribs and shoulder blade, the pain mostly lasting all day and all night, but sometimes getting a bit milder, or stronger. worse lying down, better standing.

On the first day paracetamol took pains off, but it then got worse 12 hours in and I blacked out from the pain a couple of times and was drip white covered in sweat that day. GP said something about murphys sign, on day 2, so sent me to A&E.

Unfortunately drs were on strike, aswell as radiologists, so as bloods were ok I was sent home to return the next day.

The pain peaked on day 3, when no painkillers would touch it at all, not even oramorph in hospital.

I've struggled to get any sleep due to the pain in 3 days now, so that added to the unbearable pain has been horrendous.

Day 4, pains slightly improved but still bad enough requiring multiple painkillers, in combination, to keep the pains down,

Ultrasound reported no gallstones, chest and stomach xrays I'm informed showed nothing, bloods were reported to be ok too, so the consultant says the pain must be in my head as there is nothing on ultrasound, or xrays and discharged me!!

However now I'm left still with very bad pains in right ribs and shoulder blade, which still need 3 different painkillers to get any kind of relief, but not even get rid of the pain.

I've also got a very swollen stomach and swelling around the bottom of my right ribs and the consultant refuses to do anything more and has discharged me.

It is definitely not in my head and obviously I'm going to raise a complaint as I'm suffering badly here.

There has to be something else then causing these pains and swelling , I'm wondering maybe if someone else has had pains like these, which appeared to point towards gallbladder, but then wasn't?

I just cannot go on in this much pain and taking this many painkillers indefinitely, but GP only points at A&E.

Thanks

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.