Unexplained weight loss, what should I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

First of all, I have had some kind of undiagnosed autoimmune/fibromyalgia sort of situation going on for the past 3 months. I've been in frequent contact with my doctor and have seen a rheumatologist with no answers. Some of my symptoms include widespread muscle/joint pain, chronic fatigue, stiffness, brain fog, tingling, muscle spasms/twitches, malaise, dizziness and sensitivity.

In the past 2 weeks I have been rapidly losing weight. 2 weeks ago I weighed my normal 38kgs (83.7lbs), and today I weigh 35.4kgs (78lbs). I am 4'11, 18 and can't afford to lose weight. My next GP appointment is in 2 weeks but I feel quite concerned about this weight loss. I've noticed my hair is turning brittle/dry and falling out, I'm getting a lot dizzier and feel a lot more weak than usual. I'm not anaemic and I've been eating normally and well with no changes to my diet. My mum says I look like a skeleton.

I'm proactively trying to gain weight by drinking health/protein shakes, eating bigger meals and balancing everything a bit better. I don't exercise much, I've been sleeping well, and I've been making sure I've been having 3 meals a day including lots of snacks, but nothing seems to be working and I'm at a loss.

I'm unsure whether I should be trying to get a doctors appointment ASAP or just ride it out for the 2 weeks, but it's getting worse day by day.

Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Have you done a full-body health checkup? I mean a full-body scan. If not, do it soon. It may help to identify the actual problem. Sometimes people lose weight due to over stress or depression. Do you feel anything like that? I think you should see your doctor ASAP.

• Posted

Age plays a huge factor in weight gain and weight loss. I think as long as you look after your body right, the good times will come. Just keep jogging on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.