Unilateral tinnitus - unknown cause

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all,

I've had unilateral tinnitus for around 3 months now and I'm at a loss as to what the cause may be.

For reference:

I'm 28 years old.

Tinnitus started suddenly one night in bed and has stayed since!

Hadn't attended any loud concerts prior.

Wasn't particularly stressed in the days/weeks prior to tinnitus.

No hearing loss identified in tests.

MRI came back as normal.

No fluid in ears.

I took steroid spray for first 6 weeks but no change.

Tinnitus in left ear and on occasions appears in right.

Multiple tones mainly medium pitch. Main tone that's unchanging sounds like a distant morse code.

I can't modulate my tinnitus through jaw or neck movements.

Other symptoms that may or may not be linked:

Clicking and crackling when opening and closing jaw. No pain in jaw.

Left ear pops when jumping. If I press under my left jaw the ear popping stops.

Sway back posture. Job involves working at a laptop all day.

Tingling in left hand (although this is suspected to be from ganglion cyst in wrist).

Deviated uvula (deviated to the right - research shows this may be linked to vagus nerve issues).

Have always had neck pain and tight trap muscles.

ENT suspects ETD and has recommended daily nasal rinses. I'm currently taking Sterimar nasal spray but haven't noticed any change. I've taken sudafed and allergy medication for a few days but neither helped.

If anyone has had a similar experience to me or any helpful tips and advice I'd love to hear from you! I've always found this forum to be incredibly supportive and a great community.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.