Unprovoked Bilateral Pulmonary Embolism

Posted , 2 users are following.

In February 2018 I drove myself to the ER for extreme shortness of breath and pain in calves, knowing it was pulmonary embolism from deep vein thrombosis. The team started an IV of saline and took blood while I waited for an ultrasound of my lower legs. After 2 hours of waiting, I was sent for chest xrays: both lungs had a multitude of clots in the bottom 3rd. An anticoagulant was administered intravenously, and I was also given 2 blood and 2 iron transfusions for extreme anemia (my hemoglobin was 7.0, half of the optimal level for a female). By the time I had the ultrasound, there were no more clots, presumably because the anticoagulant broke them up. I was admitted and released after 3 days, with instructions to contact my primary care physician asap. My PCP prescribed Xarelto, Amlodipine and Hydrochlorathiazide, as well as Levothyroxin (my TSH was in the 12 range; normal levels are between 0.4 and 4.0), iron and stool softener, and gave me a referral for a hematologist. I explained to him that I had been taking 4-8 tablets of aspirin or ibuprofen daily for 18 years to treat arthritis pain and inflammation, yet he still discussed the possibility of aspirin therapy in lieu of Xarelto???? Does that make sense to anyone? He also wanted me to have a lower GI procedure (which consists of being given an enema of barium and then being x-rayed. The test is embarrassing, invasive and flawed because it doesn't show nearly as much as a colonoscopy. I was 51 and should have had a colonoscopy by then anyway, and told him so. Since he still insisted I should have the lower GI done first, I never saw him again). Now to the present, I have had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and have no issues. I have a new primary care physician and she was perplexed as to why my previous PCP wasn't more concerned with knowing why I had so many blood clots. This brings me to my question: what are some possible causes of bilateral PE and DVT when I neither smoke nor am on estrogen, haven't flown in decades, and hadn't been hospitalized prior to 02/2018? I tested negative for Lupus and Sjogren's. I do have Psoraiatic Arthritis and OsteoArthritis, neither of which give a positive result on an ANA (antinuclear antibody for auto-immune disease) test, which I do have. My rheumatologist isn't concerned about the +ANA because I am on immuno-suppressants anyway.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Gosh Kate ,,,,,you are awash with Things ,I have my fair share ,but the pulmonary embolism .was a shock ,and unheard of .and frightened the socks off me .because it was all about bleeding to death for no reason ,and

happening anywhere in my body . so much so ,that eating a bag of crisps became life threatening ,I was kept in hospital for two days !!!!!!!! and sent home with tabs ,that I was told ,,,not to miss a dose . I was told very little . I did eventually meet a consultant ,who showed me an x ray that had two breadcrumb dots

that could have been in any part of my body He did not organise a scan ,or a blood test ,and he reluctantly

gave me an appointment in one year , Your own blood dissolves clots ,but in their own good time The Thinners allegedly stop any more moving in , I am not a lover or user of prescription drugs ,I do use an oral spray of vitamin B 12 every day that takes care of me ,

I know this reply is a tad late ,but I became unacceptable ,because I could not find my password .ANYWHERE ,,for months . My door is always open if you want to ,need to chat

Jacqueline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.