Unprovoked pulmonary embolisms

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with unprovoked pulmonary embolisms! ive had no symptons apart from coughing up a very small amount of blood with mucus.I feel well but wonder where they have developed from.I had been on a long car journey the previous week with no drinks and no stops for Over 4 hours! could this have been the cause?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It is possible that's the cause, but impossible to tell. Basically, you blood will have had to have slowed or "pooled" somewhere to start clotting. It is quite common for PEs to be classified as "unprovoked" so I wouldn't read too much into it. The key thing is what happens now. You will need to be on blood thinners, as least in the short term (3 months or so, depending on circumstances) and it would be helpful to see if there are any underlying causes - so some tests. Causes are myriad, but common are the pill, heart defects, circulatory (DVT), genetic, recent surgery.

I hope you recover quickly. Best bet is to ask questions here for pointers that you can then ask the medics.

• Posted

I had no underlying cause!!! I had just gotten off a 17 hour flight!! But I had done that same flight about 50-60 time before with no worries. Numerous tests and yet no underlying cause was found. It was just one of the random things!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.