Unusual Treatment?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I have cross-posted in this forum and the overactive forum because I'm really not sure where I stand. See post below:

Hi everyone,

I am new here, and have a bit of a long story, so apologies in advance for the essay to follow! I am totally confused with my disease, the treatment I have received and my situation, I'm really hoping someone here can help.

I am a 27 y/o female. I was diagnosed in November 2014 (6 months postpartum). I was overactive with symptoms -

TSH: <0.01 (0.3-6)="" ft4:="" 39.1="" (9-24)="" ft3:="" 12="" (3.5="" -="" 6.5)="" anti-tpo:="" 483.8=""><6)

thyroid receptor: 3/l (0-15)

i was immediately placed on carbimazole with a diagnosis of hashimoto's. i then went on to start a block and replace regimen and after several tumultuous months i felt well. just in time for my endo to tell me to cease all medicine at the 18 month mark.

i am now 4 days without any medicine.

the question that keeps cropping up is why did i receive more of a graves-type treatment if i don't have graves? it is apparent that i have hashimoto's probably triggered by pregnancy/childbirth, but nothing to suggest graves. i had no ophthalmology or goitre.

having been without medicine i started to worry about what would happen if i was to relapse, i.e. what way i would go. i asked my endo and he said 'hyper in the short term'. i then asked why if i had hashimoto's? and he said 'antibodies'.

now i am really confused. i am terrified i could have a thyroid storm and it will be fatal.

i am trying to make sense of this but every turn throws me another curveball.

any advice at all appreciated!

thyroid="" receptor:="" 3/l="" (0-15)="" i="" was="" immediately="" placed="" on="" carbimazole="" with="" a="" diagnosis="" of="" hashimoto's.="" i="" then="" went="" on="" to="" start="" a="" block="" and="" replace="" regimen="" and="" after="" several="" tumultuous="" months="" i="" felt="" well.="" just="" in="" time="" for="" my="" endo="" to="" tell="" me="" to="" cease="" all="" medicine="" at="" the="" 18="" month="" mark.="" i="" am="" now="" 4="" days="" without="" any="" medicine.="" the="" question="" that="" keeps="" cropping="" up="" is="" why="" did="" i="" receive="" more="" of="" a="" graves-type="" treatment="" if="" i="" don't="" have="" graves?="" it="" is="" apparent="" that="" i="" have="" hashimoto's="" probably="" triggered="" by="" pregnancy/childbirth,="" but="" nothing="" to="" suggest="" graves.="" i="" had="" no="" ophthalmology="" or="" goitre.="" having="" been="" without="" medicine="" i="" started="" to="" worry="" about="" what="" would="" happen="" if="" i="" was="" to="" relapse,="" i.e.="" what="" way="" i="" would="" go.="" i="" asked="" my="" endo="" and="" he="" said="" 'hyper="" in="" the="" short="" term'.="" i="" then="" asked="" why="" if="" i="" had="" hashimoto's?="" and="" he="" said="" 'antibodies'.="" now="" i="" am="" really="" confused.="" i="" am="" terrified="" i="" could="" have="" a="" thyroid="" storm="" and="" it="" will="" be="" fatal.="" i="" am="" trying="" to="" make="" sense="" of="" this="" but="" every="" turn="" throws="" me="" another="" curveball.="" any="" advice="" at="" all="" appreciated!="">

thyroid receptor: 3/l (0-15)

i was immediately placed on carbimazole with a diagnosis of hashimoto's. i then went on to start a block and replace regimen and after several tumultuous months i felt well. just in time for my endo to tell me to cease all medicine at the 18 month mark.

i am now 4 days without any medicine.

the question that keeps cropping up is why did i receive more of a graves-type treatment if i don't have graves? it is apparent that i have hashimoto's probably triggered by pregnancy/childbirth, but nothing to suggest graves. i had no ophthalmology or goitre.

having been without medicine i started to worry about what would happen if i was to relapse, i.e. what way i would go. i asked my endo and he said 'hyper in the short term'. i then asked why if i had hashimoto's? and he said 'antibodies'.

now i am really confused. i am terrified i could have a thyroid storm and it will be fatal.

i am trying to make sense of this but every turn throws me another curveball.

any advice at all appreciated!

>

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Chloe have u thought about getting a second opinion on this?
    • Posted

Hi Jane and thanks for your replies on this and my other thread. I have sought other opinions from doctors at my surgery but they are either of the same view as my Endocrinologist or refer me back to him.

I am not sure where else to go in terms of second opinions out of this circle of doctors and cannot afford private healthcare unfortunately.

• Posted

In my unprofessional opinion...lol.  You have the antibodies for Hashimoto's.. which is the TPO antibodies.  With Hashimoto's your thyroid will yo-yo.  You can be hyper then hypo, hyper, then hypo for years until it will finally settle into into hypo forever.  Perhaps your TSH was just tested in the hyper stage and that's why he wants you to stop the meds at a certain point, so he can check your levels again and make sure he isn't going to over medicate if you head more hypo.  Does this all make sense?  I hope I was of some help.  More professional will people will chime in shortly I'm sure.  Best wishes. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.