Unwanted hair!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm 23 and was diagnosed with PCOS this year. From the age of 12 until 21 I only had 2 periods a year but for the past 2 years I have had a period every month sometimes 2 in a month. But I have terrible acne and facial hair which makes me feel horrible as a young female. I feel like I keep finding hair in every place it should not be for a female and it it really brings me down. I think this is what causes the spots on my face because it's where the hair is trying to get through. I may be wrong. My weight is not great but that is because of bad eating habits I've picked up from feeling down and unhappy. I have been doing exercise and trying to eat better

But the weight is just not shifting. My DR is useless he basically printed off a 6 page leaflet about PCOS which had everything I already ready knew and then said but your not trying for a family right now so ur fine. I just feel like I have no one to talk to as it's an embarrassing problem to just talk to anyone about. Any solutions about the whole hair stuff I need help.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I feel exactly the same way you do and our stories are very similar. I used to be a size 10 and in the past years to to unexplained mood swings and depression I have more than doubled my dress size. I feel ugly and so unattractive. i try so hard to do something about my weight but i can nver see a difference i cant stand looking at the mirror when im naked because there is absolutly nothing but pure ugliness i see. My doctor told me the same damn thing. she told me since you're not planning for a baby theres nothing to worry about yet and she prescribed some birth control pills.

I have been looking for support groups in Staffordshire and so far there's none that exist. :'(

i feel like healthcare proffesionals forget about other side effects we get such as depression, body image, worry about infertility, anxiety e.t.c... its as if we are forced to try and ignore all these other factors we face in our day to day lives.

• Posted

I totally understand how you are feeling!!! I have been trying to get pregnant, but they tell me that if I lost weight I might do better. But I can't seem to lose anything and if I do it's like 5 lbs in 2 months! My acne is getting worse since I got off bc. and I just feel gross! 
  • Posted

Hi Jane,

My name is Annie, and for a university assignment I am writing a feature on living with PCOS in a bid to raise awareness. 

I was wondering if I could possibly ask you a few questions and hear about your story of living with PCOS. 

Your help would be truely appreciated! 

Thank you, kind regards, 

​Annie.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.