Upcoming PCNL and need advice: Mom of 4 Month Old and 2 year old

Posted , 1 user is following.

Ive just recently turned 33 years old and gave birth to my son almost 4 months ago. Pre-pregnancy, I did not suffer from Kidney Stones nor did I ever have any history of UTI's but ever since bearing my children Ive had multiple UTI's, kidney infections, passed dozens of stones ranging from 3mm to 7mm. After my son was born, I completed a CT scan to find multiple stones in both kidneys, one stone measuring 13mm. A month ago I was hospitalized for a week after nearly losing my life to a battle with sepsis after passing an infected kidney stone that contained E.coli. The infection spread so rapidly that I went into septic shock only 2 hours after passing the stone. The concern is that the remaining stones are infected so therefore my Urologist has booked me for a PCNL in a month. I'm beyond nervous of being hospitalized after the surgery as I'm crippled with PTSD after surviving sepsis. Another worry is that my son is exclusively breastfed and with COVID restrictions at my hospital, Im concerned he will not be able to visit me. Last month he was able to come for feeds but this month there have been outbreaks in the hospital wards and I've been warned he may not be able to come. I can only hope there will not be an outbreak at the time of my surgery.

For those who have had PCNL, how long were you in the hospital?

Has anyone had the surgery to remove infected stones and what was the outcome of the surgery?

Anyone here deal with stones during pregnancy and after having passed or removed stones, did they come back after not having children for some time?

Really, any and all stories on PCNL would be greatly appreciated. Im usually a pretty collected person, Im familiar with surgeries as Ive had many in the past, but this surgery is hitting me harder than ever before- its probably because I care so much for my kids and the thought of leaving them feels unbearable. I just want to be prepared and do my best to prepare so that I can be with my kids sooner. The surgery is right before Christmas, I can only hope it goes smoothly and that ill be able to enjoy that time with my young family.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.