upped levy by 25 mgs

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, had my thyriod tested which was 10.2  even though i have been on 100mg of levey for 4yrs.  dose now increased to 125mg since25days ago. still not feeling its working.  Does anyone have any idea when this will kick in? made app for bloods to be redone 0n the 18th feb

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello  Melody:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA and I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease.

All thyroid meds can take 6 to 12 weeks to work. Levo must be taken on an empty stomach and you must wait about 1 hour before eating.

Sometimes, Levo does not work on some people and the TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone), does not come down.  YOUR TSH is 10.2 and that is too high.  Normal should be 0.45  to 4.50.

So what you should do is keep taking it, and do blood again in 8 weeks and see if your TSH can come down.  Sometimes people do need more of a dose as it goes by weight. Most people are on 75mcg to 100mcg.

Ask your doctor to test your TSH, T4 and T3 levels so you will know more and it will tell us if it is working on you on your next blood draw.

Also ask for a mineral panel to include Potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, iron and ferritin, & selenium.  You need good ferritin levels in you so Levo will work.  Also Vit D can be low in people with thyroid disease, so check that also.  This is a special blood test and it takes a week to do.

There are other thyroid meds on the market, just to let you know. Some are Liothyronine, Liotrix, NDT-natural dessicated thyroid such as Armour thyroid.  It is made from a pig's gland which is close to a human's one.

Keep us posted on how you do,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi, it usually takes 6-8 weeks to build up the dose of thyroxine. Also get vitamin B12 and zinc tested if you can. Low B12 is common and can make you feel lousy. Zinc is needed for the immune system to work correctly. The rule of thumb dose of thyroxine is 1.7mcg per kg of body weight.

Some people don't convert thyroxine properly to the form our bodies need (T3) and find they need to also take T3, or take NDT instead (which has all the hormones produced bt the thyroid in it - T1, T2, T3, T4 and calitonin). NDT is difficult to get, particularly in UK, even if.you go privately. The best way to identify if you are one of these people is to get your T3 tested, again not easy on NHS. Do get a printout of your blood test results so you can see for yourself whwre your results come within the ranges. My NHS doctors receptionist prints these for me.

So to summarise: get your iron ferritin, iron, vit B12, vit D tested (as a minimum); have another blood test after 8 weeks (book blood test and follow up doctor's appt now); and get a printout of your results. Just a thought, if youcan get previous blood test results printed you will nce Amsler to see the trend - if you need help with this, post your results here. All the best.

• Posted

Sorry, that should say 6-12 weeks to build up the levels.
    • Posted

Auto correct kicked in, that should have said...

Just a thought, if youcan get previous blood test results printed you will be able to see the trend - if you need help with this, post your results here. All the best.

• Posted

Thanks very much for  responding. It looks like i just have to wait for  acouple of weeks and then get  bloods retested. The doctor at the time did do iron, vit D  minirals ect test on blood all came back ok except thyriod being 10.2 thankyou
    • Posted

Don't take doctor's word for blood test results being ok. Get the printout and check yourself. You can feel rubbish and still be within range. The range is for the average not for you. For example vit B range is something like 200-900 so you could be 'in range' at 210 but still be lower vitamin B than you need.
  • Posted

your dead right i was abit low the year before she said iron was 173 slightly under took iron then . might just take a supplement to make make sure its ok like you rightly say what good for oneperson isnt enought for  a diferent person.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.