Upper endoscopy show inflammation

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband had been

I'll some time! Blood work

Done (slight jaundice) stool urine samples clear! He had upper endoscopy done yesterday which showed inflammation

Of stomach! The consultants are now going to check for gall stones, Crohn's disease and celiac! His symptoms are constant I mean everyday nausea without sickness! Slight jaundice, stabbing stomach pain mainly to the right lower! Loose bowels, weight loss! No blood in stools! Anyone help at all please

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Inflammation in the oesophagus is from acid reflux. I assume if they were concerned they'll have taken biopsies to determine whether there's Barrett's Oesophagus with or without dysplasia but presumably there'sno cancer as it is usually visually identifiable.

He should be using acid suppressant mediaction (probably omeprazole) which may be on a high dose for the first few weeks while the inflammation recovers.

He may need to assess why he gets acid reflux. Look at his diet and he may need to make lifestyel changes.

If he smokes, he needs to try to stop. If he is overweight, he needs to try to lose weight.

If he keeps a food diary, he'll be able to identify th etrigger foods that cause the acid reflux.

The right abdominal stabbing pain could be gall bladder so I'm guessing he's having an ultrasound scan?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! Gp has done a two week course of omeprazole and lamoprazole neither helped! He does smile cigarettes however no alcohol!

Findings on endoscopy

GE junction at 40cm from incisor

Normal oesophagus and stomach

Mild bulbar duodenitis

No evidence of malignancy

clo test taken (unsure what that means)

Would attach photos but unsure how to do that

• Posted

The scope report seems to show inflammation in the duodenum. This may be the cause of the stabbing pain in the right abdomen. It doesn't mention oesophageal inflammation which the omeprazole should heal (if the right dose, 40mg, equiv to 60mg lansoprazole) over a few weeks. Two may not be enough.

the clo test looks for helicobacter pylori, a bacterium frequently found in the stomach that can cause these symptoms. If the test is positive, a course of an antibiotic mixture (2 or 3 dii=fferent drugs) will be prescribed.

• Posted

You have been a great help! My husband said the tests were done there and then so I'm assuming negative for bacteria! In you opinion with the information ivd provided and taking slight jaundice into account what do you think all these symptoms seem to indicate?

Many thanks

• Posted

Also uss abdomen scheduled next week sorry forgot to mention this!
    • Posted

Although I have tried to gain expertise in the very narrow and specific area of acid reflux and Barrett's, I am not a doctor and my knowledge of other conditions is limited. However, I suspect it may be the duodenitis that is the cause of his symptoms. Something has irritated that area causing inflammation. When that recedes, his problems, hopefully, will lessen.

The gall bladder and pancreas release bile and enzymes into the duodenum through the shared pancreatic duct. Inflammation of that area may inhibit the flow of bile and enzymes from these organs. Restrciting the flow from the pancreas could be the reason for slight jaundice.

I don't suspect pancreatitis as that would normally be felt slightly to the left of the abdomen jsut under the stomach.  I have experienced a brief few days of acute pancreatitis and know how it feels. I have also experineced cholecystitis (gall bladder) and had my gall bladder removed. Symptoms yu've described so far don't appear to equate to those.

Although at endoscopy, an immediate H-Pylori test is done, it's not as accurate as the clo test which may take 10 minutes or so to be carried out in the path lab so he may or may not have received those results immediately and, although the report states the test was done, it doesn't, unusually say the outcome so I'm assuming this is the report the endoscopist prepared immediately and results of any tests and biopsies will follow in a few weeks.

• Posted

I certainly agree as there is no

Outcome stated on the clo test

• Posted

Do you know if helicobacter pylori would show up in blood work?
    • Posted

Not in normal bloods as the bactrium lives in the stomach. If present, the clo test will show it and it's easily dealt with by the antibiotics if it is discovered.

Many people have H-Pylori in their gut. For many it causes no problems.

• Posted

Husband has had ultrasound scan which shows no gall stones! Gp mentioned inflammation of stomach heading to colon after reading endoscopy report?
  • Posted

Hi Lindsay,

Was this ever resolved my husband has exactly the same and has been this way for 2 and a half years.

He doesn't have jaundice (that's usually related to liver) but he has nausea, goes from constipated to lose bowels, 5 stone weight loss and a pain to the right of his belly button.

It started after travelling to India, he has been treated for the parasite Giardia (has your husband travelled anywhere tropical of so always worth being checked for parasites)

Doctors can't help him any more and they are saying IBS but we disagree he has no triggers it's with him 24 hrs a day.

From our own research we possibly think a Candida over growth he has had so many bacteria we think his gut has been wiped of all good bacterias and just left him with the bad.

It's driving us both mad we have looked into some really crazy theories as to what it could be

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.