upper gastrointestinal endoscopy no sedation

Posted , 4 users are following.

O my god i had a upper gastrointestinal endoscopy done this morning, opted for no sedation, I am actually laughing here at disbelief of what i done. Anyway i have to say reading these forums helped alot and i expected it to be much worse than it was. I am glad i did it with no sedation as i just walked out when others were snoring thier heads off . I just lay down on my side got the throat spray and doc put camera in told me to swallow which i did but wasnt expecting to be asked to swallow 3 times it took alot of mind power and just concentrated on my breathing , i could feel the tube goin down and i stayed still while biopsies were taken and then the nurse said it was over and praised me for being so brave, I was so relieved when it came out that i cried. I must say  the trick is to stay calm, trust the doc as they wouldnt put you in danger you can breathe easily  and your in total control . I did not even gag once. So proud of myself.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Well done. It's not a pleasant experience but having it without sedation is a plus. I can cycle straight home afterwards and don't need to drag my wife out to accompany me.
  • Posted

Well done! I was the same and I definately think that the build up was worse than the procedure. I was so proud of doing it without sedation. I had taken someone with me because I was convinced I would need sedation! It was great to just get up and leave, I had a bit of a scratchy throat after but that was it smile

Best feeling! Go and treat yourself you deserve it!

• Posted

You appear to be the ideal patient. Thanks for your experience!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.