Ups and downs...

Posted , 5 users are following.

So, I survived my first volunteer shift as a tour guide/assistant yesterday. Three hours on my feet, but mostly on my ankles...

A very large part of my role involved helping 4-7 year olds in and out of costumes, so for the first time since my op in December I had to squat. I spent most of the three hours in that position easing little feet into the suits and rolling up the legs so they wouldn't trip. Getting up was a bit of a challenge, but I think I managed it really well and that no one would have noticed I was having a bit of trouble with that. 

By the time I got home, it felt almost like week one after the op all over again. I was in so much pain. I filled the bath and had a good soak; was so tired I had a long nap afterwards and will still pretty sore last night.

Feeling much better this morning and heading back for my second shift in about four hours' time. 

I had no idea it was going to take such a toll 6 months after surgery. However, I haven't done any squats as part of my exercise routine, so I am hoping it's just muscles screaming as they do when you use them for the first time.

Despite the post-shift torture, it was a lot of fun and I'm glad I signed on for it.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Belle

Haven't had THR - that's my son - but I'm a children's librarian & old, so I have trouble squatting & kneeling. PROPS to you for volunteering! Well done!

Here are a couple of ideas for workarounds - put the child UP if there's a stage or steps. Or a low stool for you.

Also Epsom salts for bath to ease aches.

Aloha, Soos

• Posted

Thanks Soos. Unfortunately, there is nowhere to prop them up or for me to sit down. We do have a couple of tables and a lot of very small chairs out, but they're for the children who are waiting for their turn so they can do some colouring to alleviate the boredom and give the parents a bit of a break.

If I feel a bit tired/sore today, I'll let one of the others know and see if I can negotiate to do more of the standing work, rather than the squatting.

As I eased myself into the bath yesterday, I realised I should have bought something to put in; I remembered too late that I do have a large box of bicarb soda in the pantry, which would have helped. I'll be sure to pick up something from the store today.

• Posted

thats just what is it Belle...doing what you can...over doing it a bit...sleeping afterwards...you are going to be like this for a year or more I know I am....at last my left side is catching up with my right...now getting stronger and stronger...More about that later...Ian.
    • Posted

Oh that sounds like good news from you Ian - very nice to hear.

L

• Posted

Hi Belle, 

good for you ...how many days a week are you voluntering and is it back to back? 

I think I might have gotten the trochanteric bursitis after 4 days back-toback voluntering at senior home - pushing wheel-chairs, bending , stretching etc - might not be related at all but I know how I started to limp and compensate for pain in hip ....

ended up in not going in for 5 weeks and just recently going back for a couple of hours a week ...

big warm hug

renee

p.s. I am older than you and had 2 THR's

• Posted

Hi Renee

I did my second shift yesterday. I have six more during the next two weeks, so not every day. It was painful again, but not as bad as the first day and I slept again afterwards... 

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm glad you took some time out to rest up. Hope you're feeling much better now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.