Ureteroscopy and Urinary Retention

Posted , 1 user is following.

52 year old male. Diagnosed with 9 mm stone in November 2023 after experiencing blockage and pain. The diagnosis was done with CT Scan. The pain wait away after a few days because the stone moved back up and there was no blockage any more. Drank a lot of water with hopes to flush it out for next 2 months. Had ureteroscopy done on Feb 9th 2024. The stent was supposed to be removed two days later but after the surgery, I was told in needed to stay for three weeks. The reason was stricture and because they had to dilate to get to the stone.

The stent comes out on 29th. For last few days, I have been feeling that I am not urinating as much as I am drinking fluids. I had attributed this to stent in place. But today (Feb 23rd), its really bad. I feel a lot of pressure in the bladder and I know its full. I keep drinking water with hopes to empty bladder but I am not able to. Only a few drops come out. I can go over and over again after every few minutes and a few drops will come out every time so its not 100% blocked obviously. Upon reading and researching, I am finding that urinary retention is not common because of stent in place.

I got cranberry juice based on a close friend's recommendation but does anyone have any comments or suggestions? I hate to be going into the weekend like this with most doctors unavailable. If things don't improve, I may go to ER but I don't know what they will do.

Has anyone else experience this? What should I do??? Should I go to urgent care and have them prescribe flomax/tamsulosin? I was on it for 10 days after my initial diagnosis in November.

My bigger question though is this: If stent is placed in to avoid blockage, will my symptoms get worse after stent removal?

I have never had urinary retention issues except for a couple of days in November 2023. I have always had a healthy/long flow. I was fine up until the day of surgery.

TIA

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.