Urethral Bulking Procedure

Posted , 3 users are following.

Last year I was searching the internet to try find forums with people's experiences with Urethral Bulking but struggled to find any reviews that weren't wrote on the medical websites. So thought I would share my experience and hope that it will help anyone who is faced with the decision of having it done and hopefully help to get the best results.

Before I go into details, here are a few tips that I would recommend..

1. Even though it's a day procedure, bring an overnight bag.
  2. After the procedure, don't drink too much water.
  3. Fast.. regardless if they tell you that you don't need to.
  4. Wait at least one to two weeks before returning to exercise.

Due to childbirth, I've had severe stress incontinence for years and was faced with the decision of choosing Urethral Bulking procedure or going down the major surgery route. My surgeon convinced me that even though it is not a permanent fix it was my best and easiest option, that most of his patients have got up to 8 years without leaking so I decided to go with it.

I was advised that it is a simple day procedure, and I could go back to work the next day and exercise after two days. I think I was a bit naïve in thinking that I would be out after just a few hours so I brought nothing but myself and my kindle but unfortunately it didn't happen so easily.

The procedure itself was ok, I got a local anesthesia and they gave me what they called a little cocktail to help me be more relaxed during it. After the initial jab of the anesthesia I didn't feel anything other than a bit of pressure. Afterwards back on the ward I had wait at least 4hrs for the 'cocktail' to wear off and once I went to the toilet I could go home. I was drinking plenty of water during my wait, but this was a mistake and wouldn't recommend it. The bulking agent had worked so well that I couldn't actually go to the toilet at all, which caused so much pressure and agony that it resulted in me needing a catheter and an overnight stay. Unfortunately, the next day when I did eventually go, I ended up having an infection and needing an antibiotic.

I got very disheartened when I got home as I ended up having a big leaking accident, but I put this down to having an infection. I waited 4-5 days after having the procedure (they advised 2 days) before going to the gym, but things didn't feel right. Even just sweeping the driveway, I could feel as if something had moved. Only way I can describe it, it's like a stopper placed midway. I think I got about one to two weeks max with no leaks but after that I was back to square one. When speaking to my surgeon, he said it could have been a combination of needing the catheter, having an infection and going back to the gym too soon.

I had my second procedure five weeks ago and did things differently this time. I brought an overnight bag, so I was prepared, and I didn't drink so much water afterwards. Thankfully this time I didn't need a catheter or an overnight stay. I did find this procedure more difficult though. They told me that I didn't need to fast, so I had a cup of tea and scone at 6am before going in. I had the same on the first procedure but this time I was brought down to theatre a lot sooner so they couldn't give me the "little cocktail" to help relax me. I don't know if it was a result of not having the mild sedative or that the anesthesia didn't work but I could feel everything they were doing. I wasn't prepared for this, so I have to admit I was a little traumatised. I would recommend fasting regardless of what they tell you. This gives you the option of being fully awake, having a little sedative or being knocked out completely.

This time round I wasn't as eager to go back to the gym, so I waited 4 weeks before doing an exercise. I'm happy to say that so far this time it has worked. I've done one gym session and walked the dog with no issues, I couldn't have done either before the procedure without major leakage. Long may it last.

I hope this helps and best of luck.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Thank you Michelle. It always helps to know something about the actual experience rather than just the technical details. Very well explained.

• Posted

Thanks Michelle, just found this after a google search!

I'm booked to have this procedure done for the first time, next week. It's sounding like they plan to do it under general anaesthetic.

Hopefully it will all go well....

How are you getting on now that a few months have passed since you first posted?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.