Urinary pain symptoms after covid

Posted , 3 users are following.

My girlfriend has been experiencing a stinging sensation that she usually would only get once every few months when she felt dehydrated, however since getting Covid it became more frequent. Antibiotics help but dont alleviate all symptoms and it has become increasingly frequent to the point it occurs at least once or twice a day, even if she drinks normal amounts of water. So I am posting this for her to see if there's anyone that could help her or work out what it actually is, she's been to her GP many times and tested negative for an UTI test and also tested at a hospital negative for a STD test. Her GP has been really unhelpful and so she called 111 and they advised her to contact boots who gave antibiotics for 3 days. Thier called Nitrofurantoin but even those haven't fully helped her, it made the really bad burn feeling go away but she still experiences a stinging sensation and feels uncomfortable by it.

So could anyone here please advice or help out.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

She needs to go back to her GP. She must say that Nitrofurantoin helped but she only had them for 3 days. She may need a longer dose.If nothing helps she may get referred to a urologist or preferably a urogynaecologist.

Doctors will always start with tried and tested methods and drugs first and if these dont help they expect you to go back and see them. She also must point out that this is worse after having Covid. There may be a connection.

• Posted

The gp just checks the urine test and doesnt give antibiotics bcz it comes up negative and shes already told them it got worse since covid but they never bothered

• Posted

If your girlfriend is really in pain with this she must drink plenty, which you say she does, but really the only way is to go back to the GP. he/she may not want to give antibiotics but there are other options. Are you in UK?

• Posted

Hi there,

I had Covid in November and at same time had bad UTI type pain. Tests revealed no UTI. I've had bladder issues ever since (off and on) like my bladder hurts or burns! I've heard or read about lots if pelvic problems post Covid, but doctors dont have proof yet so can't really speak to it. i was also dehydrated with Covid and ended up in ER because of it.!

i've found pelvic gloor therapy very helpful. I also seem to get BV which I never had before Covid (have had single sex partner for 23 years)

is it stinging when urinating or all the time ? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.