Urinary Stress Incontinence

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi, I suffer from stress incontinence.  I haven't been doing my pelvic floor exercises as much as I should but it's getting a real problem now.  I love exercise, I teach classes and also am training to become a Personal Trainer so really need to get this problem sorted.  I went out for a run yesterday and couldn't stop weeing.  It's getting really embarrasing.  I also have to hold myself before I go to the toilet to avoid wetting myself.  Has anyone else been this bad and have you thought of the surgery? And if so, was it successful?  I'm awaiting a private appointment but it's not until end of April.  Please help!! Any advice would be great.  I'm a woman in her early 40's and had two vaginal deliveries 10 and 8 years ago....

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I am so sorry you have a problem. I would advice you not to have a TVT mesh sling or tot as it is plastic mesh that cuts threw you like a razor. Doctors to sharp to offer this as they make more money out of it. If you are offered this Google "TVT MESH SLING COMPLICATIONS". Ask your doctor

how many implanted,

how many full tapes have you taken out.

Will I suffer later with urge incontinence

Can it cut threw my nerves and organs

He best web page to go on is

Messed up mesh

Home page has what the Scottish goverment has done and other things that doctors can do. Hope this helps xx

• Posted

Hi, a local friend had this operation and hasn't had any side effects or pain from it. I'll wait and see what the consultant says. Think I need something effective more than exercises now though x
  • Posted

Hi Davina

Sorry to hear  of your problem.Check out that you dont have a UTI which makes

things worse.

Pat

• Edited

Hi,  I have exactly the same problem to the extent that even fast walking makes me leak!  I have tried a bulking agent (Bulkamid) which worked very well for a few months but then the effects wore off and I was quickly back to square one.  I am now considering the TVt surgery but I am concerned about the mesh, which I know has a bad reputation for side effects.  I understand that it is possible to have the operation using your own skin or donated skin, which has fewer problems.  It's something I will discuss with my urologist on my next appointment.  I wish you luck with whatever course of action you choose because this problem really interferes with life¬!
    • Posted

It's a very cruel condition isn't it. I think I'll opt for the operation. My friend had it and it's turned her life around. I'm trying to cut down on alcohol and caffeine which aggravates the problem. Good luck!!!
    • Posted

Hi I had the TVT mesh in 2013 as I had chronic mixed incontinence and had no life what so ever. Lived with it for years and made me a recluse. I got offered the tape in 2013 and jumped at the chance December 2013 for a normal life with Botox injections afterwards for the urge incontinence. I have been a&e no one new how to treat me for my pain my gp had never hurd of it I was on my own. i am waiting for a op now 450 miles a way from were I live as it is cutting threw a nerve, tests show there is fibres in my bladder wall of the mesh and what ever else it's done that can't be seen until they go in. The pain is so bad I am on a nerve blocker and pain killer and morphine. It has been suspended in scotland and I think it should be in the uk until the mhra has finished the investigation on how much damage it can cause. After 6 weeks it goes hard and is meant not to be removed there are a only a few that can remove them. It can shrink, erode, cut threw the vaginal wall, nerves, bladder, womb, uretha, and a lot more and the pain is worse than the Sui. I wash i never hurd of it never mind had it.
    • Posted

Hi Claire

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I must admit I've not heard very good things about the mesh. Did the Botox injections work for the urge incontinence as that might be a good option for me?

Thank you x

• Posted

Hi I don't know if the Botox works that was the next step. But I do know that the urge inconinence is a lot worse since I had sling. And I didn't think it could get any worse. Inconinence nurse said there is only the patches left which go on your buttock and refuse them as of all the pain in the right buttock and leg. But can't have Botox until the mesh is sorted out. But I do know it needs doing every so often every so many months not sure how often though. Xx.
    • Posted

Hi mary. Was there any pain after bulkamid op? I am offered withe tot or bulkamin however I m very confused between the 2. I read bulkamid success rate is 30-40% however in tot there are other complications like pain in thighs or growing tissues around it
    • Posted

Hi mary. Was there any pain after bulkamid op? I am offered withe tot or bulkamin however I m very confused between the 2. I read bulkamid success rate is 30-40% however in tot there are other complications like pain in thighs or growing tissues around it
    • Posted

Hi sneha - no pain but, to be honest, I can't recommend it as the effects lasted less than 2 months!  It's a procedure you have to keep having done which is a bit pointless.

?I personally wouldn't have either TOT or TVT because of the many problems associated with both of these.  In August I had a colposuspension, which is a major operation supporting the bladder.  It's the best decision I ever made because I am now totally dry and there were no side effects at all.  It's around 3 months recovery time but worth it for a permanent solution.  Urologists are starting to recommend it more and more these days but many still try to steer patients towards TOT and TVT because they are much simpler and cheaper procedures.  Maybe mention it to your urologist.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi mary, Thanks ever so much for all the information. I really appreciate your help and information. Did you go private or through NHS? Can you recommend your urologist or doctor you went to please?

Kind regards

Sneha

• Posted

You're welcome Sneha. I was treated under the NHS. My urologist is Melissa Davies. She operates in Salisbury District Hospital and also does private operations in New Hall hospital nearby.

• Posted

Thanks ever so much Mary. I really appreciate your time and all the information

Thanks Sneha

• Posted

Hi Mary did the bulkamid hurt at all? I'm due to have it but I'm seriously scared and now doubting if it's even worth it. Thanks 

• Posted

Hi Sarah,  I was given a general anesthetic before my bulkamid because my urologist said it was " a bit uncomfortable ". M sure if you're having a local it will be okay though. 

As to whether it's worth it. The effects only lasted a few months for me and then I was back to square one. So in my opinion probably not. 

Take care. 

Mary x

• Posted

Hey so is general were your put to sleep? Can I ask where

You had it done? My doctor

Assures me it last ten years, I'm so nervous about the whole thing!

• Posted

I had it done in Salisbury district hospital on the NHS.  I was given the choice of either a light general or a local anesthetic and opted for going to sleep but I'm sure a local would have been okay too so don't worry. 

My urologist told me before the op that the body would absorb it and the best I could hope for was 2 years. In actual fact the effects began to wear off after about 6 months and by a year I was back to where I had been before.  This may not be the same for you, perhaps people react differently. Either way there's no problem giving it a go you have nothing to lose and it doesn't prevent you having something else done later if you need it. 

Best of luck and I hope it goes  well. 

Mary x

• Posted

Thanks just having a local think I'm just scared it will hurt.

• Posted

I'm off on holiday for two weeks now Sarah. If I can help in any other way get back to me then.  I'm sure you have no need to worry about being hurt. Local anesthetic is powerful.  Why not speak to your doctor about a general though?  

• Posted

Just had the bulkamide on Monday

Generalal anaesthetic no problem with that and I think they put some uppers in it as I felt great for the rest of the day. Felt I could have gon e dancing.Not even sick or even tired and no pain.

2 connsultanats did it other doctors there a nd even the bulkamide rep.

So I would not have liked to have been awake.

A day job but it turned out that my bladder was having g a little problem emptying so I was catheterised and stayed over night.

Absolutely no problem with the catheter. Did not feel anything a d it kept me safe.

As to how long the bulkamide will last really worries me.

I have been incontinent for 8 years and just to be dry in the house for 1 day is so wonderful.

The con sultant said It can last 8 to 10 years.

Oh I do hope so.

The op is nothing to worry about.

• Posted

Hi Corinne,

Just reading through the old posts.

Just wondered how your treatment is still going as I’m due to have it next month.

Thanks 

Jo 

• Posted

Hi Jo,

I was 100% perfect for 2 months and then now about 98%.

Need small liners now but considering I love fast dancing, salsa, and fast waltzes and polkas, then I am not doing bad.

Definitely recommend the bukamide. I am probably back to where I was 8 years ago. Losing weight might help me. I was desperate for help before the op as I had some embarrassing moments. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Corinne I'm your posts 5 years after your previous update. I just wondered how you were getting on now following the bulkamide treatment and whether or not you'd had to have any further interventions or it is still working well?

I'm due to have urethral bulking next week.

• Edited

hello allison, omg been to hell and high water to get back into this site. most important i reply to you. yes still good and still 99 % dry. have a sneeze whoops. but otherwise... i did lose one and half stone on a nhs diet programme so maybe that helped. its heaven being dry. i was 100% incontinent, which i dont think doctors understood. but my surgeon at harrogate hospital asked me how bad it was out of ten. I said ten. leeds hospital said my bmi was too high for them to agree to the op but harrogate said i was fine.. anybody need info on the bulkamide please ask.

• Edited

forgot to say i have a very strong bladder . can go hours without toilet. but once in the night.

• Posted

thanks for taking the trouble to reply, Corrine, I also couldn't remember quickly where I'd found the site and I'd only be on it recently!

So great to hear that Bulkamid has been successful for you. I had my procedure done last week, without any problems. The result is that it has worked, but not 100%. This last week I have continued to wear a small liner but it's not got very wet!

I've definitely not been as active (on purpose) this last week, so will be interesting to see the effects as I start moving more quickly!!

Have you needed any 'top-up' of Bulkamid, or just that one procedure?

Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply. Allison

• Edited

hello alison, is it me or what . to get into this site is hard work. have to change my password every time.

but i am definitely here to help now.

did you have a general anaesthetic or local ?your brave if you had local. i think i had a little accident some time after bulkamide but no harm wearing a liner if polkaring on the dance floor

like me.

not a drop i am glad to say last night

but i still wear a liner if i have a cough or a little worried..

no shame in that

and no top up yet thankfully.

let me know how things go.

Corinne

• Posted

I had a general anaesthetic too. I was surprised when they first said that as I'm sure all the blurb I'd read had said local. However, on reflection better to have had the general although it did take me about 5 days to stop feeling a bit 'fuzzy'.

Have gone without liners these past 2 days, so am very pleased.

Wishing you a very merry christmas and a happy new year. Allison

• Posted

happy xmas and happy new year to you alison. just had to change the password again. you would think i wanted money out of my account with a password that strong .

i hope everything goes well for you. my hospital never asked me to go back for a follow up so they have no idea how well the bulkamide lasts or works . let me know how you go on.

corinne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.