Urine infection cystitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had lifelong problems with urinary infections so thought I would tell my story. First one about age 18 and this has been followed several times a year thoughtout my life. I am 73. Tried all the antibiotics suitable for this prob . Find I now dont get clearance with Trimethoprim at all. I started Vagifem pessaries about 6 years ago and the old strength certainly helped to keep cystitis at bay but since the strength has been reduced they dont help at all.   My GP started me on a 3 month daily prevention dose of Nitrofurantoin about 6 months ago and this was brilliant,but as soon as I came off them the horror returned. So I am now on Nitrofurantoin again for prevention.  I have recently had a TVT for incontinence so I am wondering if this may help although I have no high hopes....certainly has cured my stress incontinence though.

So many women seem to suffer cystitis and it now seems to be the butt of  comedians jokes but it really is no laughing matter,it certainly messed up my first marriage. My mother and my daughter both have suffered in exactly the same way. Maybe something inherited physically? but what?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this for so long. And it messed up your first marriage. My heart goes out to you.

Have you tried probiotics? My mom is 75 and she just started taking them and said

they changed her life. Ha. 

• Posted

Yes,I tried probiotics for several years ,and cranberry juice,but nothing has really helped. The antibiotics seem to be the only salvation.

I have had KUB [kidney,ureters,bladder] and IVU [intra venous urogram] x rays but these showed nothing abnormal. Its like the sword of Damocles hanging over my head.  What sort of probiotics does your Mum take?

• Posted

She takes one probiotic capsule a day. The brand is Phillips Colon Health. I know that doesn't sound like it would have anything to do with uti's but it helps both tracts and helps with immunity in general. 

I use RePhresh B as well, which wards off yeast infections (often a side effect of antibiotic use) which can irritate the urinary tract. 

• Posted

hi i really feel for u .....i was diagnosed with ecoli infection 7weeks ago  and im currently on cefalexin afeter 2 other antis havnt worked--they said iv had this infection along time because after looking at bladder walls under gen anesthetic they said very inflamed

i feel lost ,,,  after 7wks would have thought would have been on mend--my life is plagued by awful pain especially lower back x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.