Urology appointment app 14th March and Nephrology app 15th March

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone help. I am 76 and have had aneamia for a while plus have lost 3st in weight. My dermo found protein and blood in my urine and referred me and the appointments have now come through. He said my PCR showed protein to creatine ratio of 72 - what is normal? My initial research indicated 20-30 but I could be wrong. What usually goes on at an initial nephrology appointment. I presume they are trying to confirm kidney disease or rule it out? I would guess the urology which seems to involve a cystoscopy is to rule out bladder tumours/stones? I have no appetite and a strange taste in my mouth too. I also have lupus/psoriasis and gout and acid reflux.    

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You don't say if you have high blood pressure so it could be that 72 is not that high. I have been in the 200's. The taste is your mouth and no appetite has me worried though. Could be kidneys are failing. The first appoint is mostly talking and checking blood work and prescriping pills. Good luck and keep me posted.
  • Posted

Hello Athena,

I think the renal consultant will do a full blood count if that hasn't been done yet- though you sound as though you have had some blood tests already.  They will conirm your anaemia and probably your folic acid and Vitamin B12 levels as these are needed, too , to form health red blood cells.  Your blood pressure is extremely important for helping to control your kidney function- usually they aim for below 140/80, sometimes lower. They are pretty good at finding the right medication that will help.  I don't know what your PCR signifies- there seem to be different ways of naming it and sometimes it is called Urine Albumin to Creatinine Ratio (UACR). Albuminuria is present when UACR is greater than 30mg/g .  I have been told that changes in albuminuria may reflect response to therapy and risk for progression.  72 does sound high but may simply bean incorrect reading which sometimes happens. Good luck with your appointment- let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thank you for your replies. My blood pressure was checked last week and was 122/66 so that is fine. the aneamia  (heamoglobinin) is 9.8 and I think should  be around 13.5-14. I just do not want to eat though although dietician has perscribed fortisips and I have been having those. I guess it is less than 3 weeks to the appointments so just have to hope they can shed some light on what is going on.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.