Using Dermovate twice or three times a week to keep LP at bay?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had vulval LP for about four years. Saw the dermatologist, for the second time, who discharged me at the end of January as everything had cleared. This was following her regime of Dermovate every day for a month, then twice a week for a month, and repeat. However, it seems that once I stop using the Dermovate, the VLP comes back within a few weeks and I'm back at square one again.

Has anybody's dermatologist told them to use Dermovate regularly, say twice or three times a week to keep the LP at bay?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I completely understand how you feel. I have both oral and VLP. The differing advice given to me over the years has often been conflicting and very confusing!

I found the following online some time ago and have found it really helpful and it seems to work for me with the VLP. It is a detailed procedure for withdrawing from topical steroid use. It wont stop or prevent LP from returning but it does give reasonable periods of relief. Also it does make you feel that you do have some input and control that I haven't felt before.

I hope you find it of some help. Good luck!!

https://www.eczemalife.com/blogs/tsw/how-to-withdrawal-from-topical-steroids

Warm wishes to you

Ann

• Posted

i have self diagnosed myself with VLP recently having been diagnosed with oral lichen planus by the dentist at the age of 57 and been referred to the oral surgeon. ive been trying to treat what i thought was vaginal thrush or BV unsuccessfully on and off for years but of course on doing a bit of research things have now become clear. Rather bizarrely my Mum also suffered from very severe OLP from being in her 60s (she would have been 99 now had she still been alive) but unbeknown to her she must also have suffered from VLP as she was also treated with Dermovate and Betnovate and other creams and ointments that i remember the names of from over the years but I'm not aware that anyone ever mace the connection between the two conditions back the. Rather ironic that i should have the same conditions thirty years later and also it sounds like the medication hasn't moved on in that time which is very disappointing and that sufferers are still locked in this cycle of slow withdrawal only for the condition to return again within months. it was pretty continuous for Mum if i remember correctly and it sounds like i may be preparing for a similar journey

• Posted

Thank you very much for your replies. I was sorry to hear that both of you have oral as well as VLP. Thankfully, I only have the VLP, but that's enough to deal with, I think. The link you included will be very useful, Ann, and I've saved the information. I think I'd been hoping that using the Dermovate regularly, maybe twice a week, would stop the cycle of being clear and then it coming back a few weeks later. I think I'll discuss it with my GP - if I ever see her again! I hope that things improve for you, Jacciaky and that you don't have the same journey as your mother. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.