UTI Testing, but DIDNT use mid stream urine?

Posted , 7 users are following.

for the past 3-4 days i've experienced what I think was a UTI. I went to my health clinic to get tested for it. The nurse explained how to do the urine test but i kind of blocked her out because i know how to pee in a cup.

But NOW i recall her saying to pee in the toilet, THEN collect the urine, and finish urinating. 

THIS WAS MY FIRST MORNING URINE. I literally held my pee from 8:30 p.m. at night until 12:00 pm today at the time of my appointment (15 hours?)

I cleaned my genital area, and peed in the cup first, then in the toilet, and peed a little more in the cup. 

I got tested for a UTI and she said all was Negative. No white blood cells, No protein, no glucose. 

My urine sample will be sent as a culture to see if it grows bacteria.

my question is would me peeing in the cup first give me a false negative? or is that more of a false positive measure?

and if it was negative then it's truly negative? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

To be honest i dont think it matters too much, if you had a uti you would certainly know about it.

They are horrible, last time i had one it was a nightmare. best advice is to get the dissolvable vit c tablets and drink one of those every morning it helps me and its the acid that neutralises the bacteria.

Not an expert but i have worked in a drs surgery.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you! So you think if I had a UTI it would of definitely showed up on the test even thought it wasn't specifically "Mid stream" urine?

I've had a uti before and ugh they are horrible. But the only symptom I do have is the burning sensation. I'm hoping it's just irritation.

• Posted

best advice is get some vit c tablets dissolve in water and drink, will prob make you wee more but the idea is to flush you out and make it better always works for me.

cranberry juice is another one to try, i dont like that and find vit c more easier.

• Posted

They were after a mid flow urine test hence pee first then into cup or pot and then finish in toilet.

Result could be skewed, suggest you inform surgery and do a restest

• Posted

No. You do not pee in the toilet and then collect it. That would contaminate the specimen. You pee directly into the cup.

Start drinking natural cranberry juice and taking a probiotic daily. You peed properly w collecting the urine. Don't worry.

What symptoms do you have to make you think you have a uti?

• Posted

That's not what I mean. She wanted me to pee first normally. Then stop. And then pee into the cup with the left over urine in my bladder.

And I peed directly into the cup. And this was my first morning urine so I hope it's accurate on being negative.

I think they make you do mid stream so you don't get a false positive, I don't think there's such thing as a false negative.

I only have vaginal burning and mostly after I pee. But it could be irritation from wiping too much or constant rubbing from a pad because I've been on my period for two weeks. Just got off birth control so my hormones are all wacky

• Posted

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sounds like you coukd be dehydrated. Did you get a mirror and look down there to see if anything is going on?
  • Posted

I've had UTI's on and off for the past 14 years, and now take regular medication to attempt to stop them in their tracks, however sometimes it doesn't work.

Whenever I'm in the hospital, or at the GP comes to see me, they do a UTI test, and no one has ever mentioned to me about using the mid-stream of my pee when doing the test, so I wouldn't be overtly worried about it.

Just my two cents.

• Posted

You have received some good advice here. I get tested for UTI's all the time (in fact I test myself at home now and just phone and tell them if I need antibiotics lol) and I have never been told it needs to be midstream, so I wouldn't worry too much about the results being a false negative.

However, holding in your urine for that long is not good for you. That is more likely to give you an infection, and since the urine will be so strong and stagnant it will be stale coming out which may cause some burning and discomfort which may make you *think* you have an infection. Also the fact that you were able to hold your water for that long proves you aren't drinking anywhere near enough. Again, that will make your urine strong and it will feel uncomfortable to pass urine.

I am not sure why you are so worried about the results of the dip-stick test when yours is being sent off for cultures anyway? They will provide a definite result.

In all honesty though I think you need to be drinking a LOT more than you are at the moment and you mustn't hold your water. It is serious because when you do that, potentially urine could be washed back into your kidneys which can cause life long, irreversable damage that means you live in pain every day. Yes, it is rare. And it is very unlikely without urniary retention.. but it is possible so be sure to look after yourself.

I wish you all the best.

• Posted

It's really important to provide an accurate urine sample for diagnosis. If you hand over first void urine then you're at risk of getting a false positive reading. My wife suffered from chronic UTIs last year and was issued broad spectrum antibiotics that didn't seem to help at all, and she wasn't instructed how to provide a sample, just given a pot. We moved surgeries and her new doctor explained it all, and ended up giving her a prescription for something called a 'Peezy' which was a sort of funnel that captures midstream without trying. Maybe worth asking the nurse next time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.