varicose vein surgery post op

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had vein stripping done October 2. Felt great up until October 14th when I returned back to work (office work). In the beginning I had lots of bruising but not really any bad pain. The bruising started to disappear last week but this week I have pain and my incisions that look like they are healing fine are swollen and sore. Now I am getting bruising again after it went away. My leg feels like I have had a massive leg cramp and it won't go away. Took a pain pill that I was prescribed and it didn't do much for the pain

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Do you think that it might be a DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis)?

An ultrasound at the ER could determine any blockage or reduce your fears that it is just something minor.

I had vein ablation on my left leg two years ago. My doctor said pain as you mentioned could be serious and to head to the ER to have it checked.

Not trying to scare you, but legs can be very tricky to call.

• Posted

Hi Superbud, where did you have the stripping done - do you recall who the surgeon was? Were you given the option of any alternative solution, such as endovenous ablation? Stripping is far more invasive than some other treatments and it might just be that you are going through the healing process but I would certainly go back and have a scan to rule out anything more sinister.
  • Posted

Sorry, I wouldn't want to alarm you but I would recommend you contact either the hospital where you had the op or your gp and describe the symptoms, it could be be nothing, but please treat it as possibly serious.
  • Posted

hello, i got my op 15th on my both legs, so far i feel great.. today went for a walk, acctually i was able to walk same day after surgery and was doing it around the house time of the time.. as some how i couldnt feel any of pain..maybe tiny discomfort.. My doctor told me to remove my bandeges after one week.. how long it took for you?? as i am reading a lot of information and all of whem telling that badeges should be removed after 48 hrs.. i got veins striped all around the leg.. and one of them was cut out from the main vein..  
  • Posted

Everyone... we are trying to assess which hospitals/surgeons are still stripping veins. According to NICE Guidelines it should be a treatment of last resort and it seems to be still offered by those hospitals unwilling to invest in modern techniques. Patients need not go through the associated pain and risks. If you know where they are stripping, please provide details on this thread. Thanks
    • Posted

I had my op 14 days ago at Wythenshawe Hospital Manchester .Beloe knee all ugly veins gone !! Great job .BUT in my groin I keep getting this intense burning & soreness !!! I am taking Codeine Phosphate & Paracetemol every 4 hrs as prescribed during the day BUT wake in the night with this awful burning !!!
    • Posted

Christine,

both of those are normally for mild to moderate pain but if you're getting something other than that I would think it might be better to check the dosage with a Doctor - you may also have some other problem that these may be affecting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.