Vasectomy aftercare

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a vasectomy 3.5 days ago, all seemed good untill this morning, when I was in extra pain, then by tonight both testicle seemed to have swollen up by what I would say a lot. I had no swelling before, is this normall?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Swelling is perfectly normal at this stage.

Swelling to double size is painful but can happen, if slight swelling then it should die down soon.

If swelling hits apple size or bigger then get to an a&e dept or surgery if during GP hours.

If you're concerned in any way at all then contact GP (if done in surgery by GPwSI) or the hospital where you had it performed.

Swelling can be caused by procedure itself, and that can game a few days to occur sometimes or it can be caused by infection requiring antibiotics to resolve. If testicles are swollen, red and hot to touch it's probably mild infection based.

Early days yet so don't be too alarmed although trust said just keep an eye on things.

Ibuprofen and paracetamol are good for swelling and pain relief. Alternate the dose though to ensure max long relief. That is to say ibuprofen then 2 hrs later paracetamol then two after that back to brufen and keep it going that way.

Take care

Marc

• Posted

OK thankyou, I assume the pain with the swelling is normal also, the pain feels like it's coming from almost under the testicles. A lot of discomfort

• Posted

Yep, if an area is swollen you can expect ity to be painful sadly,

Given a testicle is only supposed to be X size whenb it moves beyond that size the pressure put on the outher surface is immense and in turn your body will let you know it hurts.

Pain referral is horrible as you know the pain is in place A yet place B which wasn't touched hurts..normal(ish) as the pain will befelt  where the nerves fire off the signal kind of thing

• Posted

Update, I've have been treated for an infection, I have a new question, the swelling went down a considerable about, this morning I ejaculated (knowing this wasnt the most sesnsible time but it happened) and my testicles swelled up almost instantly, would this just due to to much activity?

• Posted

No idea on that front sorry :-(

Hopefully sometime else might have answer for you.

It could be just coincidence it happened just after ejaculation as swelling can occur at any time without notice

Cheers

Marc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.