Vasovagal syncope and mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

About a year and a half ago I got a prescription for mirtazapine to cope with my anxiety and after taking it for two days as directed, I fainted about an hour after waking up. I went to the doctor because I had never fainted before and he told me that he thought i had vasovagal syncope. He actually told me he had VS and that he thought the medication had caused me to faint so I stopped taking it. We didn't run any tests, but after doing research I trust his diagnosis. Since then I have fainted a couple of times and come close many more (feeling light headed and dizzy, tunnel vision, ringing ears). I have been struggling with my anxiety a lot in the past few weeks and still have a lot of medication left. I am feeling at a loss and spoke to a psychiatrist after searching for months, only to have him ignore my anxiety and treat my ADHD alone. I would like to give the mirtazapine another go but I don't want to endanger my health.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Have you had autonomic testing?- do you have a neurologist? It may not be anxiety, it sounds like POTS. I had it for 1.5 years severe with hyperadrenaline. Also look in the small fiber neuropathy (tinitis in ears is a symptom among many others) and its generally autoimmune driven. Have you had an ANA run? They can biopsy your ankle and hip skin to test for neuropathy. A beta blocker atenolol blocked the hyperadrenaline "anxiety" for me and controlled my racing heart until I recovered from pots. On tunnel vision; I had a terrifying and bizzare visual/sensory issue where I was like moving around in mg body all the time/not a fixed view point out of my eyes almost like vertigo but not spinning-related to pots but also my autoimmune autonomic neuropathy is suspected to be paraneoplastic (caused by an autoimmune response to a cancer-that hasnt been found yet or isnt large enough to be found)....hope that helps. People with dysautonomia are very often misdiagnosed a having anxiety, somatic disorder or conversion disorder and then it messes up our medical records and credibilty for future care and medical work up. Most of us with these autoimmune neurologic syndromes are female- old idea of hysteria is tied in.....

• Posted

You have two options, either you can keep taking the medication and hope one day it starts to work or you can speak to the doctor for a change. As it stands the medication isnt working. Pray on it, and make a choice. It took 8 months of prayer and taking the same medication for it to start to work afterwards. 8 months olanzapine didnt work for me, but i persisted and demanded it work for me. Then it worked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.