venlafaxine cold turkey

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been on this for 5 wks(37.5) and want to get off it.I am also on mirt + was going to change but Ven just makes me ill.I tried tapering off ven at 10% for 4 days but  withdrawal started - terrible anx + pacing all day + night so wnt back on it.I am still feeling rotten after 5 days of being on it again.I am tempted just to go cold turkey.If i do anyone got any idea of how long the pain will last-how long withdrawal will take? I will still be on mirt 15mg while i withdraw.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Plainden. I was on Ven for 6 weeks and went cold turkey as I was desperate to get t out my system. Not gonna lie, it was hell. But I'm glad I did it because it was over quicker than the tapering journey would have been! I felt really ill for about 2 weeks, luckily/unluckily I was in the midst of a breakdown so I was already off work. I wouldn't have been able to work during those two weeks because of how terrible I felt. It was then another four weeks before I felt completely back to normal, so it lasted about six weeks for me. But hey everyone's different. Good luck with your withdrawal from this. If you decide to go ahead keep posting in here for support. Many know what you'll be going through smile
    • Posted

HI,THANKS FOR THE REPLY.SEEING DOC ON WED TO SEE WHAT HE SAYS.I AM STUCK BTWN A ROCK + A BLOODY HARD PLACE.
  • Posted

Hi buddy,

I'm glad you are going to see your doctor as I wouldn't recommend the "cold turkey" approach. However, last December, after 2 months on Venlafaxine, I chose to go cold turkey because the side effects were making my depression unbearable (I was on 225mg). I came off on Christmas Eve (hoping to enjoy my Christmas, which I did). Between Christmas and New Year the withdrawal phase was very tough but I went onto sertraline on New Year's day. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. You will find the right support and medication. Let your health professional, family & friends know what you are going through so they can help you through the transition between meds. Stay strong :-)

Digsby

• Posted

Hey,

I was on venlafaxine 75mg for 2.5yrs and I stopped cold turkey. This is not recommended at all due to the extreme withdrawal symptoms. For me, these withdrawal symptoms lasted about 3 weeks, the worst of which being high anxiety, loss of appetite, brain shocks every time I moved my head or blinked, insomnia, pacing. However, I knew what was happening and I knew why it was happening so I think I was able to just manage it. I even worked! I'm not a doctor though so I don't know if there are any serious health implications when you withdraw this way but I have been off them for nearly two years now and nothing adverse has happened. I still suffer with extreme depression and anxiety but the venlafaxine never took any of that away in the first place! So I guess you could do it but speak to your doctor first just in case.

Good luck!

• Posted

thanks-only been on this 6 wks so hoping this will go in my favour

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.