Venlafaxine withdrawal... an attempt!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am embarked on this challenging journey of stopping Venlafaxine. After using this medicine for 6 years (75mg XR), last year I cut it by half 37/5 XR. It was smooth, almost nil withdrawal symptoms.

Now, am attempting to stop it altogether. Here's my status so far:

Day 1: It was more of excitement and anticipation.

Not much trouble though, except towards evening 'zaps' started.

1st Night: Bad sleep with frequent 'zaps'.

Day 2: That's when it got a little bad. Dizziness, a little absent-mindedness and 'zaps'. Saw doctor in the evening. She suggested I use escitalopram during transition. I kept that as a standly option. Didn't want to switch from one addiction to another.

Night 2: Couldn't sleep much, disturbed sleep whatever I could get. Eventually used escitalopram in smallest dose 2.5mg. Not much help except drowsy head in the morning.

Day 3 (Today): Zaps are frequent but I can feel are losing their 'punch'. Dizziness and general lack of alertness. But it's very manageable so far except am concerned about sleep.

Don't know if this attempt will be successful or not, however, I can surely say that so far, it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am glad to hear this.  But I am on 225 mg. and have been for 12 years.  I would like to stop but I am afraid with my high dosage, the withdrawal will be awful.  At least that is what I have read on this forum....I feel fine on it, but I sweat profusely!  I hate it.
  • Posted

Keep going you are doing really well! I was given diazepam to take the edge off the symptoms and zopiclone to sleep, the first week was the worst but you will get through it, it's so worth it it really is a horrific drug, best of luck!x

• Posted

I wish you well on your journey..

I'm unable to reduce any lower than 60mg. I'm less impatient now. Gonna stick with this for a while longer before trying to reduce again.

Keep in touch with your progress and the best of luck to you!

• Posted

good luck! unlike me, I hope ta least you are able to stop it fully.
  • Posted

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Day 4: Less potent 'zaps', lack of alertness, little dizziness. But none of it is too bad at the moment.

Losing sleep in night seem to be only major issue at the moment.

Thanks again! Doctors, although try to help, can't understand what exactly goes in the head. Only one who takes this medicine can!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.