Venlafaxine works great

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have tried many different antidepressants in the past, none of which worked, and all had bad side effects. Amitriptyline was the only one that had any benefit but the side effects such as low blood pressure, weight gain and extreme sedation were troublesome. I also experienced lots of mood swings on these as well. Citalopram caused bad insomnia and I had to stop it after 1 week, fluoxetine did not work after 3 months and lofepramine made me worse than ever and really increased my anxiety. After 9 years of depression, venlafaxine is the best antidepressant I have tried. I have just come out of the worst spell of depression I have ever had and it's all thanks to venlafaxine. 6 weeks ago life was hopeless and I was suicidal. Doctors diagnosed treatment resistant depression as nothing seemed to work and finally as a last resort they agreed to try venlafaxine slow release capsules. After only 1 week on 75mg XL capsules the depression began to lift and for the first time in over a year I began to enjoy things again. Now 2 months later I can honestly say that venlafaxine has given me my life back. I am free of depression and anxiety which I thought I would never be and it has even helped my insomnia incredibly. I was afraid to take venlafaxine at first because of all the negative things I read about side effects on the web but I am so glad I tried it because it really is the best antidepressant ever invented in my experience. A few months ago I wanted to die, now I am living again and enjoying life and look back on the past 9 years and wish I had discovered venlafaxine sooner. This is a message for anyone with severe depression who is afraid of trying venlafaxine, give it a go. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Everyone's experience is different with tablets and there are some who have side effects but try it for yourself. I was amazed I had no side effects from the XL capsules. I couldn't tolerate the tablets though. The capsules are easier to tolerate as they are slow realease. Good luck and I hope venlafaxine can help you the way it has helped me.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

brillaint drug: nothing else worked but I know i'll be on it for the rest of my life as i've tried coming off 3 times and felt awful
  • Posted

Really pleased to hear how Venlafaxine has helped you, I have been on it for 2 years and am trying to wean myself off, have tried a couple of times but get really agitated and lose my temper when I go without. I was on 225mg per day and I am now taking 75mg of it broken up over a week to try and get off it and when I miss a day of this really small amount, I am climbing the walls.
  • Posted

I am due to start venlafaxine 37.5 xr twice a day on Monday and am petrified!! Been on mirtazapine for 10 weeks which has made depression and anxiety worse. I am worried re not being able to sleep on venlafaxine. I've been told to take morning and night but the first few days just 1 x 37.5 but not sure whether morning or night. Can you reassure me that won't have me having insomnia. At the min I am sleeping from prob 10-5 am where wake up in a state of panic. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.