Vertical Imbalance

Posted , 7 users are following.

New here, looking for others who might have the same issue or can lead me in the right direction.  I don't believe I have vertigo as I don't experience the spinning commonly associated with it.  What has been happening to me is -- I will begin to get this feeling as if my eyes are not focussing together, will then experience double vision (images will appear double up and down not side by side). Sometimes if I tilt my head I can adjust the vision if it has not gotten too bad.  The biggest issue associated with this is my balance issue.  I cannot walk, balance is totally gone.  I must hold on to the furniture or walls in order to move.  If I go to sit down I might totally miss the sit.  If I try to pick something up I cannot "find" it.  I first noticed this occurring at times when I felt as if my eyes were tired from being on the computer or sewing (I do wear reading glasses during these activities). It has however happened once upon waking up and another time when I was in Paris at the Louvre.  That was a very hot day, with large crowds and I attributed it to the heat, the crowds and jet lag.  I cannot figure out why I would wake up with it if it is an eye problem.  I do see a neurologist and take anti seizure medication.  I have told him of this problem, even went to his office when it was occurring but he had no explanation for it.  After another visit he decided it could possibly be a side effect of the anti-seizure medicine.  We dropped the dosage and the occurences stopped for a time, but still continue.  I have been taking this medication for a good 20 years with no side effects so that explanation bothers me, since it still happens even though the dosage has been changed.  I have been to the eye doctor as I first believed this to be a vision problem as I feel my eyes are not "focusing together".  

This does not happen all the time, every couple of months maybe. When it does happen it is very frightening, especially when I am out of the home.

Has anyone experienced any such issues?  Received a diagnosis?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You may want to do a search on Vertical Heterophoria. It's an issue with eyes.
  • Posted

I would think If you visited the eye dr and everything checked out good..great thats good.

In 2013 I had the same thing occur to me. Balance issues and my eyes were acting real strange. I had to hold onto the wall for support. I had nausea with it, I couldnt eat and since I have reactive hypoglycemia and not eating it made my blood sugar drop even further. Then I did some research online and stated not to go to a regular ENT. (Which I did before searching and the ENT was stumped)

Then I went to an ENT/Otolaryngologist. My diagnois was a inner ear virus. He prescribed me some Valium (Which I dont take) and some nausea medicine.

Then I started gradually getting better.

But during the dizziness times Id just lay in bed most of the day or I would lay on the floor. It really wore me down alot. Now its 2015 and I still have trouble with my right ear with not hearing and the constant ringing. Just find the right doctor.

• Posted

Hi Paula. My blurred vision doesn't seem to cause my dizziness but can be an after effect. I'm sorry I don't have any answer for you since I am still figuring my own out. You can follow my progress on the cholesteotoma link. This forum is great for moral support. I hope someone has help to offer you. It's hard. You have people who understand here. 
  • Posted

I can only give a very quick reply now as I am at work. Which epilepsy medication do you take? Is it Tegretol by any chance? I have similar symptoms to you but not continuously. I am waiting for an ENT appointment
    • Posted

Yes, I do take Tegretol. When I first started (20 years ago) I was told side effects can be a feeling of drunkenness. I have tolerated this med well for 20 years. I do not like my Neuro taking the easy way out by saying these episodes are due to the Tegretol. After cutting down the dose I'm still experiencing the same issue. Last time this occurred I called him to let him know (because he told me to). He wanted me to go in right away to have my levels tested, but wouldn', couldn't or didn't understand when I told him I could not drive at that time
    • Posted

I also don't think it is the cause. Have taken Tegretol longer than you and have been almost free of side effects. I have an ENT appointment a month from now. I have some theories to raise with the doctor. My symptoms are less severe than you have described.
  • Posted

I don't get double vision but my eyes get very blurry along with headache and balance problems. Stress and fatigue seems to bring it on i have noticed. Has MS been ruled out? I hope you find answers that will help you. It is horrible living this way.
  • Posted

Hi Paula, another Paula here. I started the same way three years ago and I dont have the spinning sensation but feel as if I am on board ship, or maybe in the fun house, not steady, floor spongey, dont feel safe outside.  Having seen endless ENT, neuro surgeon and now two neurologists, I have been diagnosed with silent migraine.  Initially I didnt believe it, but now so many people have the same symptoms that I think he may be right.  Anxiety makes it a million times worse.  I feel its all my eyes, but that truly is a symptom of migraine - without the headache, which is called silent migraine or MAV.  Look it up see if it rings any bells.  You need a scan to rule anything serious out, but Im surprised your neuro didnt know what it was.  Lots of vestibular problems all seem the same, so you do need a proper diagnosis.  There is a MAV support group on facebook you could put a post on there also and see what comes back.
    • Posted

Yes, yes, yes! Vestibular migraine sounds like what I have. I am very surprised my Neuro wouldn't have brought this up, knowing that I have a past history of migraines. Unfortunately I think he is just chalking it up to medication side effects even though I have tolerated the meds well for the past 20 years. I will definitely discuss this with him at my next visit. Thank you Paula!
    • Posted

I was told the same they called it atypical migraine. Never even had much for headaches before only had two migraines my whole life and they were brutally painful. Who would have thought you could get the symptoms without the wicked headache?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.