Vertigo & Driving?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All. I'm new to this group.

Mid October, I had a bout of vertigo out of the blue. This resulted in a bad fall; fractured vertebrae and fingers. I was admitted to hospital. All tests were negative.

On 21 October, the vertigo returned, full time. I was badly incapacitated.

For no apparent reason, this disappeared on 13 November.

I've been referred to ENT but appointment isn't until mid January.

I couldn't possibly have driven during this period. I could barely walk.

Now that it seems to be in remission, I'm wondering whether to drive again. Or do I have to wait months for a definitive diagnosis? (GP suspects BPPV and from my own research I'd agree with that.)

I should, perhaps, add that a neighbour is threatening to report me if I do!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sounds as if the Dr did not take your driving license.  My Dr will never tell me whether to drive or not.  Use your best judgement and the neighbor sounds ridiculous.
    • Posted

I queried it with GP. He told me to contact DVLA. Seems pointless to me without having had a diagnosis.

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

• Posted

Hello....yes alot of ent thinks its bppv....Know .. alot of people that had this....If it is the exercises will work......Sorry you need to wait so long for an appt....after one year I was diagnoised with vestibular migraines....No headache severe dizziness......went for alot of testing...........feeling better but still having issues.....Good Luck!!!!rolleyes Yes you will drive again....may take time  I couldnt do any driving for 5 months  then only 5 to ten minutes  It was horrible....there is some light at the end of tunnelconfused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.