Very ill after lumber puncture

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a lumber puncture done as an outpatient went in the morning all done within couple hours told to lay down half hour then sit up half hour the. Allowed home felt ok slept ok that night next day I collapsed continuous vomiting headache like I never had before thought my head was going to explode was takin into hospital given morphine n anti sickness meds after a few hours settled down  if I’d of known I would never of had this done I’m in bed now so  I’ll anyone had similar problems they took 7 tubes as on my mri scan it showed inflamation of the brain and white particles but no ones as told me what they are testing for any answer would be helpful iv suffered dizzy spells and fallen a few times just wished I new why how long does it take for the lumber puncture results to come back as I was told some take 6 weeks .

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

3rd and 12th of may I had them done and both times I was like this (I had meningitis) the hospital had me drinking black coffee for the rest of the day and then had me on IV caffeine which helped the low pressure headache. They told me to elevate my legs for a few days whilst I was still in hospital. I would ring 111 if you’re in the UK or go to urgent care. Epidural blood patch may help if you’re leaking fluid still as it may also be worth checking and to not be left. I am still suffering now 4 weeks later. Hugs to you and I hope it settles
  • Posted

Yes mine took 3 weeks before I could sit up for long period of time. About 2 months before started feeling back to normal. I was really weak for months after it. Just drink lots of fluids, water, tea, smoothies. A lot fruits and vegetables. Stay in bed and sleep as much as you can

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.