Very painful cramps (or just twitching) in only one of my outer thighs (right)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 20 year old male. I have been experiencing very painful cramps in my right, upper thigh. Some cramps are more painful than other. They used to last for only a few seconds and then go away for a long time; sometimes more than a few days. Recently however, the pain has been occurring more and more often. Now it occurs between intervals of less than 10 minutes. I have gotten less than 6 hours of sleep yesterday and the night before. At first I thought it might be due to stress, because I had many tests, but the problem persisted even after those tests were over. Then I thought it could be dehydration, because I fasted for a while, but even when I stopped, the problem didn't go away. Before the spread of COVID-19, I used to exercise very often, 4 times a week at least. But now, I don't get any exercise at all, and I practically just sit all day. Now I'm starting to think inactivity may be a cause. In order to relieve the pain I usually apply a some light pressure to the area and that seems to help a little. With the pandemic going on outside, I would really like to avoid going to see a doctor if the problem can be solved from home. But if not, I will go see one. Please advise me on what to do.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Hi there , it may be the inactivity, and i have found if i eat chocolate it brings it on. but i am taking quinine every day which does stop it, If I don't take it within 2 days it starts again and there are risks with quinine but the pain far outweighs those risks for me unfortunately. I hope that helps ?.

• Posted

Thanks. I'll cut out chocolate and maybe try to exercise a little bit. I've never had quinine but if the problem persists maybe I should get some.

• Edited

I used to have the same issue. So painful and almost every night. First heat helps them go away and make the pain easier to cope with. Keep a fast heat up heating pad by your bed and during a cramp forcefully hold it on the cramp.. after the pain subsides just keep it there to help you sleep. Start taking Magnesium supplements. Do some research and find the ones less likely to cause diarrhea . Take every day ! Get a mineral supplement, potassium and D3 supplements.. Seriously commit to taking these everyday. Slowly start getting back into your fitness. I also got a great deal of help by getting a better mattress. I hardly get them at all any more and when I suspect I might I have my heating pad..

• Posted

Thanks Miriam, ill look into that as well. trouble is my attacks come on so quick and unexpected sometimes in the evening when I've been sat relaxing, and I can't move at all. The quinine stops most of it and i am really worried about stopping that . The pain is so bad starts below the knee, up to the inside of thighs and into my stomach locking me unable to move . It occasionally starts in my toes and has gone In both legs a few times. Its really scary.

• Posted

Try attending a Yoga class to stretch out your leg muscles to bring some circulation in your legs Sure sounds like inactivity could nee the problem

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.