Very painful knee

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 33 yrs old female. I've had a knee reconstruction in 2013 Aug. Recently I've experienced severe pain around patela mostly medial and lateral. I had xray take and lateral part of knee is bone on bone. Should I do the knee replacement

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi beverly sorry to hear you are in trouble with your knee you are very young .wheather you should have a tkr or not is a hard one  !! i got my two knees done in 2012 at 55yrs my knee replacements didnt go to plan as surgeon broke my shin bone putting in one of the knees and since then ive had a few ops to try and fix the problems ive had since the knee replacements while most knee replacements go very well and sucessfull you have to beware that not all work out and tkr is not the magic answer my advice would be to try and wait if at all posibble as there is no going back once the op is done .if i had my time over again i dont think i would have done it to be honest because i thought id be pain free and have a better quality of life and im afraid it didnt work out that way for me .many here will give you the other side of it and then maybe you can decide which ever way you go i wish you the very best
    • Posted

Thnx irish. Very valid. I whish I ha different option. After 4 surgeries this is my last resort. sad
    • Posted

also if you do go down the road of tkr make sure you get a second opinion and do your homework on the surgeon make sure he is the best by talking to people where you live  .you will find that one or two names keep coming up as the best .i found that older patients seem to be luckier with their outcome than younger patients so try to find out as much as you can about the surgeons my very best to you as by the sounds of it you might have to take that route .
  • Posted

You can ask if they can coat the heads of your joints though I doubt they will.  Have the replacement.  On a good percentage of people the surgery is a success, unfortunately you won't find them on any forum (unless the surgeon has his/her own "I am suggest a wonderful person" website!!!). You have to choice of having multiple procedures to try and correct whatever is wrong with your knee (remember, the more corrective procedures you have the more your muscles will waste) or, say hang to all of that and have the joint replaced.  That might sound rather harsh, but that is your only other alternative.  Try to be positive and upbeat.  Because this is such a major operation your medical tean will be there to answer all your questions, you will be given a kind of psych evaluation beforehand, everything will be tested. Searching the internet will give you so many answers your head will spin.  Make a pros and cons list and take it with you to your evaluation.  The pain you are experiencing will be gone, you may experience a different kind of pain after the replacement. You have to learn how to be patient. You will not feel on top of the world straight away, the way you exercise will or may change but, you may sail through the operation and the physical therapy and ask yourself "why was I so worried".  Most people on this site are experiencing the down side or early days of their procedures, please do not use this as a guide.  As I said, there are more people out there that are successes, there are people older and younger than you that have had this done and are happy are back to their old selves.  My knees were not successful, but, they no longer give way or dislocate at the slightest move.

My one bit of advice.... If you are sensitive or allergic to base metals, tell your consultant, it does make a big difference to what type of joint they give you.

Wishing you well and success x

• Posted

Hi

I am 51 and have had PKR on right knee  2 months ago and waiting for left knee to be done.  Gradually getting better after op and even though it was difficult at first, so glad that I had it done and eager to get the other one done as well.  I was bone on bone and so much pain but that has all gone now.  Wishing you all the best and hope that you make the right choice for you.

• Posted

Hi Beverly,and welcome to the forum.

I'm 49, had my right TKR in March of this year, and my left 4 weeks ago. Yeah, pretty close together! But the pain I had was excruciating, bone on bone, for me there was no other option.

Is it easy? No!! Is it painful? Hell yes! But was it worth it and would I do it over again? Absolutely!! Preparation and realistic expectations are key, it's a complex surgery which takes a lot of getting over, but if you're willing to put in the effort, you can get superb results.

So in answer to your question, yes, in my opinion you should have the surgery. Your age is definitely on your side and it sounds like you've explored all the other options.

We are all individuals, and every knee is different, but on here we tend to have a number of things in common, and we're always happy to answer any questions you might have about our own experiences.

Take care

Terri xx

• Posted

I think you must do some exercise it can help you.
    • Posted

Thnx for the heads up. I'm banned to exercise. Something I love. Whish I was able to.
    • Posted

Have you tried "swimming" use your arms as the main propellant and gently kick your legs for stability

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.