Vestibular neuritis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Morning,

Just posting for some reassurance.

About 6 weeks ago I was at the dentist having a horrible root canal and the 1st 2 local anaesthetic injections didn't work so the dentist gave me a third. I hate injections and I suddenly went dizzy, but vertigo dizzy, room spinning and heart racing, not that surprising.

Then about 3 weeks ago I was at work and I suddenly had the spinning feeling again and couldn't walk.in a straight line. It lasted about a minute.

The next day my daughter came down with a horrible d&v bug and myself and my son felt nauseous and stomach cramps. I worked a nightshift and then was up all day feeling sick and looking after her. she was up all the next night and we were all exhausted. I worked a 75 hour week including a set of 4 nights in a row so wasn't surprised when I felt a bit off balance and dizzy afterwards.

Once I'd finished work I felt awful, dizzy, nauseous, off balance, but not vertigo just like I'm walking on a ship.

I went to the GP yesterday and she said I have vestibular neuritis and has given me stemicil for the sickness.

I still feel.off balance but less nauseous.

I'm trying to relax but I really don't feel right.

Does this sound like a correct diagnosis? She said to go back in a week if I'm not better.

what's worrying me is I don't have the spinning feeling just the unsteadiness. but maybe I am recovering?

thanks for any insight/stories...

x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

how are you doing now? Out of interest do you have any other symptoms such as headaches, joint aches, tiredness, feeling shaky or jelly legs?

• Posted

hello,

I am.feeling much much better, thanks. i did also have jelly.legs and weakness, exhaustion. i completely.lost my appetite so wasn't eating which contributed to the weakness and jelly.legs I think.

I.missed a month of work( going back next week) in total, but mainly because of the anxiety. I have had a very stressful last 3 years and the GP believes i also anxiety and stress compounded by VN. I am also now having therapy

• Posted

I’m going through i think might be the same. Came on suddenly a month ago, a feeling of constant dizziness and feeling off balance line walking on sponge. Worse after driving.

Then came extreme tiredness, exhaustion, joint aches, headaches, no motivation and trouble sleeping.

Dr said VN and gave me Stemitil which didnt do anything. Ive been under intense pressure and stress particularly the last 12 months and then a bereavement and wondering if its stress/anxiety related.

I feel like i have "internal" tremors like my body is shaking in the same way after a stressful event which i cant turn off and constantly feel like im on the edge.

What therapy are you having and is it working?

• Posted

yes the same! not sleeping, and anxiety.

have also had a lot of stress- worked front line during pandemic, spilt up with husband after 25 years, close friend passed away 3 months ago, etc etc. Gp says I got ill and my body just crashed and burned.

I'm having CBT for anxiety and it is helping. download the 'balance' app, it's a meditation app recommended by my therapist.

• Posted

Thats good it’s working! I guess you work in healthcare to be front line? ( i do ) . Is The dizziness still present or has it gone now?

I will certainly try that app!

• Posted

yes i work in healthcare too.

i do sometimes still feel.dizzy but it is bearable, not the spinning I had at the beginning.

I am mainly focussing on staying calm and relaxed and.remind myself that I am getting better and I am better than I was a few.weeks ago.

I just want to get back to my normal busy self but that will have to wait!

good luck with your recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.