Vestibular Neuritis and Vertigo?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

Back in February I experienced an odd episode while driving down a bright highway where the light flashed between the trees constantly.  I started seeing aura and it developed into a major migraine (I've had a handful of migraines in my lifetime only, not chronic ones- I've also been chronically congested for about 2-3 years).  It seemed like after this that I started having headaches mostly on the left side of my head based mostly around the ear and neck area.  My vision blurred and then fixed itself, but then I started having this odd sensation while driving, like my eyes didn't know where to focus. My head was really foggy like I couldn't think, and when I shook it it almost fely sloshy,like my brain was sloshing in a fish bowl.   The dizziness then began to get worse while looking at any type of technology or tv.  The headaches weren't that bad (except for that first one in February), but my anxiety quickly took over.  I had an MRI without contrast just before Easter,and it was fine.  At this point they made me appointments with a neurologist, but not until April 28.  The more I started researching, I also made appts with an ENT on April 27.  I was miserable for about 3 weeks, until my antidepressant began to calm me down.  AT this point I could watch TV and look at a computer again, as well as drive, but was still plagued with this disequlibrium.  On another of my ER visits, the doctor said my neck was extremely stiff and to do PT or chiropractor.  I went to PT and she asked if I'd had any illnesses around the time this started.  I'd had a very bad sinus infection and was put on 12 days of steroids, and it was about 2-3 weeks later that all this started.  She mentioned Vestibular Neuritis, and I've been doing the vestibular PT ever since April 1.

Fast forward to now, my disequlibrium is somewhat better, but not 100%.  I still feel funny when driving or riding in the car, and I'm terrified to go on any amusement park rides with my family.  I finally saw the ENT last week, with the hopes that she'd be the missing piece.  Well, she said she bet it was migraines and told me to go to the neuro.  She did however, scope my sinuses and they were extremly swollen and told me to use saline and a steroid nose spray daily or I'd be needing surgery in 10 years.  I went and bought the sprays, but was really sad after hearing the 4th person tell me this was migraines when I feellike this isn't.  The next day I saw the Neurologist expecting to hear the same thing, but she told me she thought it was my sinuses.  She wants me to continue the nose sprays and come back in 2 weeks, as well as continue the vestbular PT.  I asked her about the Vestibular Neuritis, and she said people have extreme vertigo with it, and I haven't had that. 

My question is thouse of you who have been diagnosed with VN, was your dizziness vertigo?  Or did some of you just have a feelingof disequilibrium,like not knowing what to look at?  Also, how long has it taken you to regain 100% function?  I'm going on week 12 of this, and am starting to doubt if I'll ever be back to 100%.

Thanks,

Tiffany

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Mine started out with a bad sinus infection and bronchitis 6 months ago, unfortunately not any better today, I've been to a neurologist and he put me on lyrica for tension migraines, and I've been too afraid to take it, my ent agreed that it was migraines also, but I have the vertigo and facial fullness every day?!? Which is confusing to me, somehow all this is linked together I think.... Its so scary because now it has caused me some bad anxiety which I've NEVER had. Praying for some sort of relief!!
    • Posted

I have the vertigo and facial pressure everyday, along with other crappy symptoms.  It is migraine, and it can do that.  I am taking Propranolol, and I know it is migraine because the propranolol stopped it all for a year!  now it is back, so I am upping the dose and may have to go on another preventative.
  • Posted

I've been doing the PT for the past 3-4 weeks.  Feel somewhat better, so hope it'll bring you some relief.  I feel like all the sinus stuff is totally related.  Do you think yours is honestly mirgaines?  I've had them before, and these pains feel totally different.  ALso, never had this wierd dizziness.  Do you have vertigo or this wierd disequlibrium?  

The PT has also been working with my neck at the beginning of the appts, too!

• Posted

I feel like in my situation it could be migraines caused from tension, I carry a lot of tension in my neck, I've been on antibiotics and steroids at least 4 times since November ...idk its all so confusing
    • Posted

And mine is a weird disequilibrium
    • Posted

I've been on 2-3 antibiotics, 2 rounds of steroids, topamax for 3 days, propranolol for a week, and now adding steroid nose spray.  I have a lot of tension in my neck, and the neuro mentioned the possibility of a steroid shot for it.  I see her again next Thursday
  • Posted

Tiffany,

I do not have vestibular neuritis, but wanted to respond.

I have had all your symptoms- all of them.  And I have also had facial pressure on the left side, neck/shoulder pain on the left, stuffy nose on left, and eye watering on left.  THis is also the same side that I used to get my very occasional migraines, maybe once a year.  I even have tinnitus on the left.  My road to a migraine diagnosis included a camera up my sinuses, CT of sinused, the pulling of a root canaled tooth on that side (that didn't help), tons of nasal sprays, some costing over $100 a bottle.  It was all migraine. And the dizziness, visual oddities, not being able to form words (thus sounding like an idiot in conversations).  All migraine.  I went on propranolol as a migraine preventative AND went on STRICT migraine diet and it worked for a year.  Now it's back, and I am upping my dose and ditching the caffeine totally.  I may be switched to Verapamil if this higher dose doesn't work. 

• Posted

At the very 1st doctr appt back in early March, my GP started me on propranolol, and I took it a week.  I felt even more light headed than before, not to mention my BP dropped substatially.  

Did you ever have migraines before through out life?  I've possibly had a handful, tops, and this all seems to have come out of nowhere.  I'm 36 and hate to think the rest of my life will be like this...

• Posted

I had to start on baby dose of propranolol and work my way up.  I started at 10mg, which also dropped my BP and made me feel like a zombie.  I was on Christmas vacation at home, so I just sat there and dealt with it.  When I had to go back to work, I was a basket case since I felt lightheaded and breathless.  But I powered through somehow.  LOL, that was only 10, then up to 20 in 2wks, then up to 80mg!  My dr. insisted on 80mg minimum, but I felt half dead.  So she cut me down to 40mg, and I did really great there for many months.  The one thing about propranolol is it can cause some weight gain.  It slows your metabolism.  But I was able to have some white wine again, and sometimes even red wine.  And coffee!!   But still no packaged foods with preservatives (means lots of work in the kitchen).  Last fall, I decided to cut it down to 20mg since I was dizzy free and no facial pressure- and I dropped some weight.  It was March of this year that it all started again.  So back up to 40mg, and gained 5lbs :-(. 

There are other meds besides this one.  This just happened to be the one they started me on, and since it worked, i stuck with it.

Yes, mine just started out of the blue.  I have had classic migraine with aura, but only one every year, sometimes every 3-4yrs.  I've never, ever been a major migraine person.  Dr. says that happens, and in my case, probably triggered by perimenopause (I am 48).  Are you taking birth control pills?  For some women, they can be VERY problemmatic for this condition.  For others, it helps the condition!  Look at what is going on hormonally with regard to meds.

• Posted

I've always had mild headaches, but the migraines with Aura started right around the time I got the bad sinus infection, also at the same time I was diagnosed with a hypothyroid, I started medicine for that but it seemed like it was making my migraines more frequent, My conclusion is that its truly migraines caused from hormones or all this was triggered when I got really sick what do you think?
    • Posted

Man, your story sounds a lot tlike the beginning of my story...  I don't know.  I feel like mine is not not migraines because as of now, the headaches are almost all gone, but all symptoms remain.  It's odd that we both started with sinus infections.  If you don't mind my asking, how old are you?  I'm 36 with 2 boys 3 and 6.  I'm not on any birth control right now.  I am a teacher, but quit my job back in September due to my anxiety and the doozie of a class I was given this year.  I had 0 stress in my life when this started.  I will say since it all began beginning of Feb until now, I've gained 25lbs =(  Am having a hard time loosing it too =(  I've also had eys checked (relly good), all blood work was normal, thyroid was checked too and they said normal (although I'd like to have someone else read the numbers).  Who knows...  I'm trying to look on the positive, this is better than it was and honestly all it's stopping me from is going to the amusement park near us (which is killing me and my kiddos), and I get tired easily, especially when my husband is home on the weekends (I usually crash and rest all day either S or Su)...  We're thinking about flying somewhere in June for our 10 year anniv, and I'm pretty anxious about that, too, but it's not gonna stop me.  
    • Posted

I also have my yearly OBGYN appt today, so I'm kinda curious what a 5th opinion has to say...
    • Posted

I am also 36 and have a 12 year old daughter and a 9 year old son,wow our stories are so similar , I am still working although some days (like today) its a struggle. But, I have to being a single mom, I had a vision test also 2 weeks ago, everything was great. My anxiety is through the roof because of this, but I'm hopeful for a solid diagnosis.
    • Posted

Keep me posted, I'm seeing another Ent on Friday and next week a GP and my neurologist. Between all of our appointments surely we will get a conclusion lol where do you live if you don't mind me asking, I'm in alabama
    • Posted

I'm in VA.  I'm so glad I'm home this year, as there is NO WAY I could teach.  I feel for you!  I started back on an antidepressant the week it all went downhil, and I could tell a difference about 2 weeks later in all symptoms.  All those ER visits I ahd were totally anxiety attacks.  May mention some anxiety meds to my ob today...
    • Posted

I think I should be on some sort of anxiety meds, I just hate its came down to this , I've gained so much weight the last 3-4 months its depressing. I have all the faith in the world its going to get better
    • Posted

Some days  faith, and others I get really down.  We had a little town fair last wekend, and I couldn't ride with the boys.  And, the worst was I know I loked drunk.  All those spining rides and lights made me really unsure of where to step next.  It was a bummer.  But again, I'm better than I was in March
    • Posted

Praying for us both, something's got to give, I want to go back to being the super mom I was before all this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.