Viewing my medical records?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've applied to see my medical records but the form states I can only view the records from the date I applied which to me is useless as its only a day!!!?

Anyone got any advice?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

simply go back to them and say that its untrue.  you are entitled under data security to see every single bit of information any organisation holds on you.  you maybe have the wrong form?
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your imput, that's what I thought as well, I emailed the GP to ask to access my records online and they sent this form back, its for me to sign and return, but reading about the access to my records they feel I should be aware of both positive and negative implications of such open access! Then at the bottom it says " The information accessible online will be from the date of approval of your application i. e. not historic prior to that date ."

Also says the GP can withhold information if they feel it would cause me distress!

I don't think my GP could cause me any more distress as I was diagnosed with secondary metastatic breast cancer and its terminal! I just want to know the ins and outs of every test, scan and meeting. Although my oncologist is very open with me I just want to see all the info in black and white, I'm going to sign the form but also email the practice manager!

Thanks again for your advice.

• Posted

Just remember that any medical records, whether they be doctor visits, diagnostic imaging and blood or specimen analysis belongs to you. YOU own them, not anyone else, and you have a clear legal right to all and any of your own records.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the advice, I'm going to get back in touch with the GPs practice manager as its just daft saying they will only give access to records from the date of approval as it'll only be days and I never see my GP or very rarely its mostly my nurse or oncologist I only ever order my repeat prescriptions from the GP !

I am terminal now and really feel I should be able to read whatever I like!!!

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Barbara,

By Law, you can view your medical records prior to making an appointment, but under the current Data Protection Act you can not obtain hard copies.

It is coming all on very soon, but you need your NHS Number to access the minimal amount of information about you at the moment. You will be soon to access all data about yourself which is kept electronically.

Companies need your consent to access your records, electronically across the health system by 2018 and for urgent care services, not until 2020.

You can opt out of sharing such data from other services.

You were to be able to access your own GP records from Spring last year.

A digital version of the ‘red book’ for a child’s early health records - should be available from this year.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Les, so what you're saying is I'll be able to see recent records but no historic yet?.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.