Visit to doctors.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Went to see my G. P about my swollen ankle/foot (14 wks p.o. )... guess what he said. It's all part of recovery, nothing to worry about. He did prescribe votarol anti inflammatory cream. Been using it 4 days now, and I can tell the difference. Just a little tip for anyone to try if they may need it.

On a bad note I mentioned a noise in my op leg knee when I bend it. He said, bit of arthritis. Comes with age. Use the cream on it. Hope I won't need the cream on repeat prescription ha.

Take care xx

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Many thanks for this tip Brenda - it will help many of us. I've been getting ready for hip #2 and will add this to my kit.

How are you doing otherwise?

I hope friends and family have rallied around you for help and moral support.

Best wishes.

L

• Posted

Hi Linda,

My family have been great in my early wks. I'm now getting bk to my normal self. Still get tired in afternoon and put my feet up for an hr. Enjoying taking my grandson for walks now. It benefits both of us. Took him out twice today.

Brenda xx

• Posted

Hi BrendaHow that seems a favourite phrase for the doctor. I have been using ibugel for a while but at the moment it isn't doing any good on my foot. As you get older arthritis is another complaint. I was diagnosed with arthritis of the lumber spine when I was 30, that's not old. Brenda C

• Posted

Hi Brenda,

30 is not old. You have put up with a lot. Nothing you can take to heal or cure it, so doctor told me. Just painkillers when it gets really bad. Hope you're ok at moment xx

• Posted

HI Brenda

​Yes Voltarol what my physio suggested too.  With me i have weak ankles due to no motor nerves, however, when i was doing all my hip exercises and especially started increasing walking first thing to go every time was the ankle = swelling up, across foot too.  Could be too much exercise, or it can also be too little, as you have to exercise to reduce the swelling of the operation initially anyway, bit tricky to tell the difference but think what you have done over the last 14 weeks.  I am 8 weeks.  Now the other thing today, coincidentally, I was demonstrating my walk in front of the delectable Herman (See other posts on Herman with the fiendish grin) anyway told me my knee now swinging inwards the wrong way, which would mean pain at some point further down the line - i presume - so introduced new exercise (i have used up all my toes and fingers and now counting the pain areas to remind me how many exercises left to do when i am home!)  Anyway, you lay down on the bed, raise the bad hip/leg with foot aligned with knee, once about 12 inches in the air, turn your foot towards the left, so the whole leg has opened outwards, and swing it to the side of your bed, for me this means left bad leg nearest side of bed, lift up straight, slant the foot towards the left and then move the leg in an arc so it sweeps off the bed about 12inches to the left of the bed,( i am 12 inches into the bed, so i do not roll off, look a fool and wonder where my hip is now i have fallen on it.) then bring leg back and as you place back onto bed, slowly return foot to upright aligned position.  I hope this exercise description makes sense, it does pull your muscles, i dont feel pain, just feel the hip wants to drop my lower leg onto the floor as i do it.  This apparently will tighten up said muscle control for the knee, or failing that go see a physio.  I bang on about this but I can assure all you readers i have no affiliation (other than lust) with the physiotherapy people.  Just been amazed at what my two Encarnie and Herman have done for me, and my paralysis/drop foot  as a result of THR.

​Try it but slowly till you think you understand the way to do the exercise, repitition of 10 x 3 as many per day as you feel like laying down without falling asleep, mind you i consider that just as healing!

​Regards Dot

• Posted

Thanks will ask my dr about this. As my foot & ankle tends to swell later in day and evening. Also gets very cold!! I'm not able to put any weight on it for another 4 weeks.

• Posted

Hi Linda.

If you're only 4 wks p.o. your swelling may go down by 6 wks. A lot of ppls go down once they start moving about. My foot gets hot in the evening when I'm relaxing. Good luck with your recovery xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.