Vitamin D deficiency and exercise

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've just had a blood test which showed vitamin D deficiency. I have very little energy, my muscles and joints are stiff and painful, and my feet really hurt when I try to walk any distance. I've always been very fit and active so I'm wondering whether I should push myself to exercise even though I don't feel like it or whether I risk making my condition worse by pushing myself too hard. I'm taking vitamin D supplements but I've seen from other posts on this forum that it might take months to get better. I find swimming less painful than walking or cycling so maybe that is okay?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sara, 

Your joints and feet are sore because your softened bone endings are deforming a little under your body weight. The low calcium that can result from a vit D deficit can also cause some muscle weakness and wasting, typically you will know about it if you struggle with stairs or lowering into/rising from a squat.

Speaking from seven months down the line, my advice would be to lisen to your body and do what you can on any given day, and don't ever beat yourself up about being able to do more. There are lots of fits and starts, taking steps forward and back in recovery from vit D deficiency and osteomalacia. Some days you are likely to feel you are getting somewhere, some might be spent in bed. 

I'm with you on the swimming - it's the least painful exercise as it loads the skeleton and joints least, so why not go with that for now? As your skeleton remineralises you will have to think more about load bearing exercise to encourage good bone density - but brisk walking and eventually weights can take care of that in time. 

Listen to your body and don't overdo it like I did (I stayed in a very demanding job instead of taking a full month off work as advised by my GP, thinking I could beat it through willpower -  and came down with a crash!).

Wishing you all the best.

:-)

• Posted

Hi Sarah, vit D deficiency can be very painful, but you can sort it out with supplements which is good news. What was your vit D reading? 
  • Posted

hey there 

I suggest you take your vit D supplements and rest for the mean time don't pressure your body as u have deficinecy i've been through this you feel fatigued tired i know and in my case it took me 3 weeks to retain my energy and my vit D was very low 

I recommend you try resting and not puting pressure in this phase move around yes but don't go towards heavy excersiizing 

get well soon 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.